Worse then vandals scrub walls at Browns Folly Mine

D

darkplaces

It appears we have some over zealous people scrubbing the recent, 10, 15 years plus, graffiti off the walls in what's known as Browns Folly Mine / Farleigh Down Stone Quarry.

http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=19

Removing the duplicated arrows is one thing but what these people seam to be doing is causing more damage then what they are removing. They are to stop immediately. The damage left behind with fragments of graffiti and old writings is iriversable and some of the relatively modern 15 years old graffiti has been accepted as part of the place.

I don't want any more graffiti, I don't want any more vandalism if people want to look after the place it has plenty of walls and things to rebuild and PLEASE STOP SCRUBBING THE WALLS.

D

Dep

We had similar problems in Surrey some years back. Well intentioned people had actually removed irreplaceable graffiti from the first entry to the site in 1911 and also chalk markings we suspect to be 17thC.

And even after removal the graffiti still marks the walls as it leaves a bare scrubbed patch which is just as visible.

So unless graffiti is really bad or offensive it is probably best to leave it as restoration back to pristine condition is not usually possible.

D

darkplaces

I have been a bit GERR :mad: in my first post but I am still angry. Its why Graffiti is such a horrid thing because it becomes almost impossible to remove after without horrid damage to the stone underneath. When someone drew the dick in Swildons and me and menacer went to clean it, we checked it was ok with everyone including the access officer and undertook not to cause any further damage and gently polished the offending artwork away. what's happened in Browns is aggressive scouring of the walls. We noticed this happening a while ago but thought it an isolated case until last night we were crawling about the lesser known areas to find the damage everywhere and other information to point to members of a caving club and members of the Wessex being involved! (information from more then 2 sources)