Rain in the Dales

Pitlamp

The last two wettish days did very little to rivers. However it's been very wet overnight at Clapham, with torrential rain around 06:00 this morning (Sunday 8th August). I just tipped 46 mm out of the gauge (and counting). You can see what caused it if you look at the rain radar (if you're quick!): http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

For anyone planning a trip today,  I suspect conditions will be very different underground (compared with the last couple of days) at least in the Ingleborough area.

We can't complain, after all that dry weather over Spring and Summer to date.

Pitlamp

Looks (from the radar image) like the Peak District's getting a good dose too this morning.

Pete K

Pitlamp said:
Looks (from the radar image) like the Peak District's getting a good dose too this morning.
Sat in my office in New Mills I can confirm that the Peak District is getting a proper wash right now!

pwhole

Indeed. Hopefully our main dig's finally getting the rinsing it so desperately needs. I'm more concerned about navigating a family 'BBQ' this afternoon!

Mrs Trellis

So it's you who's put the mokkers on the weather. On the plus side it's saved England from a well merited defeat.

It was interesting in Shuttleworth on Saturday noticing the sump pool rising and the small cascade becoming louder, before eventually being consumed, leading to complete silence in the cave. It was then rather damp driving home on the M6 around 6.30pm. I imagine things were rather moist on the Sunday.

AlexR

The strong rainfall in the Peak was quite interesting for me to see response times for water, very heavy rain throughout the morning, we were underground at around 10:30 so not sure how much fell after that.
Barely a trickle in Titan then, and no water at all coming from the Stemple Highway junction. On the way back at around 16:00 there was a strong flow coming from the junction, and probably the 2nd worst dousing I've gotten on Titan so far. Even then it's nowhere near truly impassable, just unpleasant as the entire bottom pitch is a case of "hood up, head down, keep going". Wellies filled with water running down the inside of my oversuit.

The flow of water down the Event Horizon ledge had started to flush some rocks down close to the lip, so picked those up and stashed them in "safer" places.

rsch

Nappa Scars, 10.00 sunday 08/08. The water was audible across the fields from Thwaite Lane.

Attachments

• Nappa.JPG
    Nappa.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 108