The Mohole

Alex

I recall it was on spits, but it was a couple of years ago. A fun trip, just bring more rope than the topo suggests for the dig pitch at the bottom as well its been dug, though its prob free climbable.

gregoire

Thanks for the info,I've wanted to have look down for years and never got around to it,the only info I have is in Northern Caves 4A(very old,like me.)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The Mohole is a fine trip.  I can't remember the rope lengths but do remember the bolts. This should get you down to the bottom anyway.

Slither down the first narrow rift at the farthest point then come back under to the first pitch.  There is a thread/flake for backup and two spits for a Y hang over the pitchhead.  Half way down there is a rebelay opposite a ledge. 

You can continue down the second pitch on the same rope.  There is a spit in the wall at chest height and then a further well positioned spit at the very narrow pitch head.  It is a short pitch and soon bells out but intimidating at the top for large cavers.

Short rift passage to third pitch.  Eye bolt in the wall as back up and then use the thread in the roof above the narrow take off.  Drop down a few metres to where it bells out into a fine shaft and look for two spits for a Y hang.  Drop down to boulder floor and find a couple of spits in right hand wall - one of which is useable.  Go down the boulder slope on that and there is a further spit in left wall for final short hang. 

I'd guess a 35m rope would be plenty for the first two and a 50m for the rest.

You can then free climb down the scaffolding (an amazing dig) and into the rift and choke beyond.  The final bit of the final choke is quite intimidating and needs care.

You can do the trip in almost any weather although for a first trip I would suggest you don't do it in flood.  In flood conditions the second pitch is 'sporting' as it is hood up, eyes closed and prussik fast, but the rest of the cave is fine.

(y)

mikem

We visited last week & could only find one useable spit at the first pitch head & that wouldn't take a bolt to full depth. The rebelay has a hanger in place, but the bolt is rusted solid, so could also do with replacing. The 2 spits for second pitch seemed fine, but we didn't go any further.

Mike

mikem

Not sure when the last visit might have been, we walked straight past first time as the board on the entrance was pretty much covered in moss!