Hellicar Mine - Via Gellia

SamT

Dear Brethren.. I've had a query from a friend, and whilst I've never heard of it (to far south for me) I'm sure there are folk on here that might of..

Do you know anything about Hellicar mine in the via gellia (near cromford)? I?ve been in once and my dad a few times, long horizontal coffin level (is that what they?re called? Struggling to remember primary school local history lessons!). Looks like they maybe never found much lead. Dad?s interested in the history of it but hasn?t found anything online or in the library. Thought you might know, or know where to look.

My brief google turned up nowt for "Hellicar" which suggests to me that the mine/cave community might know it by a different name..

Anyone?  (Bueller??  Bueller!!)

Boy Engineer

Think this will be Hallicar Wood Level, aka Groaning Tor Level (also occasionally referred to as Moaning Git). Up the hill behind the mill pond opposite where the Pig of Lead used to be, before they stopped selling Mackeson to youngsters.

markpot

Hmmmm?,i know this area well.Groaning tor is a possibility but reading the description of "coffin level" doesn't really fit.wonder if it's Jacob's dream mine?i am head scratching to think of an actual true coffin level in the gellia adits bar ball eye.Sam,pm me your email I can send you some maps and docs relating to the area if it helps?

Pitlamp

This probably doesn't help but "Hel" was the underworld in Norse mythology and "car" or "carr" often refers to a bog (at least up here in the rainy Dales).

Could there be any clues there? Is the mine somewhere near a natural cave entrance ("entrance to Hell") near a boggy patch? There could be other origins for that name though of course.

Katie

I think Groaning Tor is quite likely, an easy walk in level for non-cavers, and children.
The 'coffin level' description could be misleading - if you re-read SamT post the guy asking the question only thinks it may have been a coffin level.....

Along with Andy Hayes, I did an article about the mines in Slingtor Wood which was published in PDMHS bulletin Vol 6 No. 6. This includes a survey of Groaning Tor Level aka Hallicar Wood Level. Both of these are made up names and therefore meaningless from the historical point of view. I have done a history of the same area in recent years (surprisingly complicated) but this has not been published.

mch

There is actually a section of Hallicar Wood Level (aka Groaning Tor Level) which is coffin level-like in appearance.

Attachments

• DSC00306enh.jpg
    DSC00306enh.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 147

AR

The article alluded to above is available online here: https://pdmhs.co.uk/bulletins/mines-in-the-slingtor-wood-area-cromford.pdf  - like Mike, I'm pretty sure by the description it will be Groaning Tor level.

SamT

That's great.. thanks guys. Pointed my mate at this thread so I'm sure it'll give him and his dad a good place to start from.