CHECC student caving wikki - any ideas?

Hall2501

After rebuilding the CHECC website I?m considering a new project.

My idea was to build on Rostams "how to run a student caving club? manual by collecting and reading handover documents from various student caving clubs and then writing a student caving wiki within the CHECC website for student caving clubs.

It's inspired by UK caving?s ?new to caving? website however instead of being aimed at brand new people who are considering taking up caving it will be aimed at student cavers who are wanting to take their caving to the next level.

It should, if I get it right, tread a fine line between providing useful information and being concise - letting other websites/documents do the heaving lifting, so it hopefully won?t just be a boring list of websites or a boring ream of text.

So it will contain a lot of hyperlinks to other websites, downloadable content (with permission from the authors), and sections written by anyone willing to collaborate.

For example it will contain things like an embedded map of all of the caving huts in the UK with links to each caving huts website ? I mean this already exists but few people know about it:

http://paperclipmonkey.github.io/UK-Caving-Hut-Map/

I?ve made a start by coming up with some ideas:

https://checc.org/checc-wiki/

I was wondering what people think?

Anyone know of any useful links that may go well with the page or know of somewhere it?s been done already or if you have any ideas?

Also if you have any student caving club handover documents that you don?t mind me using and could send them to me: blhall195@gmail.com

Cheers,

Brendan (CHECC .Treasurer)

nobrotson

running a club could include:

- organising transport to caving weekends and different methods (eg suss members cars and pay per car vs ulsa booking of transport through the university union with hire vehicle companies)

- catering for hungry cavers on a weekend away cheaply and sustainably: recipes, how to work out how much to buy etc

- how to promote caving within your university and get the most out of your university union

the 'where to buy kit' section could include advice on how to buy second hand kit safely on the internet

the caving sub-interests could include links to resources for discovering foreign caves and stuff eg surveys/descriptions of european caves like the berger or the verneau for example. could also include information about canyoning, and a section on foreign expeditions and how to get involved in those.

alastairgott

Peak-Speedwell-Titan
Access information to the Peak, Speedwell and Titan System is best accessed from the Peak-Speedwell site. http://www.peakspeedwell.info/ This is a very valuable site for anyone wishing to find out more about the Peak-speedwell system.

Peak cavern Specific information is on this page http://www.peakspeedwell.info/index.php/access-information/peak-cavern-access

Titan Specific information is on this page http://www.peakspeedwell.info/index.php/access-information/titan-shaft-access

Derbyshire Cave Information
The most up to date online (general) information for caves of the peak district is here https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves

This site contains information on Access fees, Surveys (where freely available), Rigging guides and selected Route descriptions.

This site provides links directly for each site to the Cave registry, containing the GPS position on a map for each cave in the Peak district you may want to visit. http://thedca.org.uk/dca-cr/registry/ This also contains up-to date access information.

Additional reading
For those interested in Caving in the peak district and want to ensure they always have extra information to hand, the best book to buy is the Peak district caving book by John Beck and Iain Barker. This is very important if you are looking at going off the beaten track or to obscure/less well visited sites. or if you've seen a passage and want to know where it goes.

There are other places to find information, but If you wish to find out extra information, start by talking to one of the local clubs. They may be able to help point you in a useful direction for more information.

alastairgott

Brendan and contributors, a word of warning, try to use information that will not go out of date. Names, contact numbers etc will change so it's best to try and avoid the use of them.
Even specific parts of a website can move, so think very carefully when you link to a specific part of a website, for example. your link to https://checc.org/checc-wiki/ would become broken if someone decided to change the name from checc-wiki to just wiki. (and then the link would need to change) Finding every aspect of a website with the specific broken link or out of date information is time consuming!

---------------------
Huts in Derbyshire
A list of huts in Derbyshire can be found on the below link, it is best assumed that up-to date contact information should be found on the individual club or organisations website.
https://thedca.org.uk/home/caver-accommodation

Hall2501

Good point, I considered that names/contact details would change but I forgot about changing web links, I'll try to make it so the checc website only refers to well-established links to avoid 404 errors. I've found some software that can scan the checc website for broken hyperlinks and refer them to me so I'll do a check every so often to make sure everything still works. I'll also make sure to keep the URLs the same, although now I am considering changing caving wiki to wiki xD

Mike Hopley

If your URLs do change, you can redirect from the old to the new. However, with most setups it's a bit nasty. People typically edit their .htaccess file, which is a configuration override for the (Apache) server:

Code:
Redirect 301 /oldpage /newpage

There are much nicer/safer ways to do it, but their setup is kinda technical.

alastairgott

Student clubs have excellent SRT training. If the Structure of this could somehow be written down, then that would be very useful for others perhaps looking at learning SRT.

It will clearly vary from club to club, but most will have aspects they consider to be Novice Technique and those they consider to be advanced.
At least if it's written down, then clubs can look at aspects they could perhaps improve on.

I penned a few thoughts a while ago now (and gratuitously stole quite a bit from YUCPC). but clearly clubs will have more fluid training rather than rigid sessions. Fluid sessions are in my mind much better.

First Session.
Familiarisation with Equipment
Key points, 2Points Of Attachment, Prussiking technique, use of Descender on Ground and premise of a changeover onto descenders.
Short dry run. Down/up with changeover onto Descenders. (inside or in Suicide Cave)
Ironing out mistakes and ensuring Comfortable with Basics.
Trip upto a cave. Introduction to Rebelays and Deviations.
Wrap up initial Session, changing etc. retire for food/drinks and Knots.

Second Session.
Introduction to Reverse Prussiking and Mid Rope Changeover.
Knot Tying. Butterfly and Fig 8
Derigging Skills. Derig Deviation and Derig Rebelay (Oxlow?)
Knot Pass.

Third Session.
Introduction to Rigging
Trip to Giants hole Rigging traverse line, pitch and deviation.

Forth Session.
Further Rigging. Some pitches (not all), JH? Nettle? Maskhill?

Advanced Skills/u] 
Knot Pass
Simulated Strung Up
Belaying
Reverse Prussicing
Mid-Rope Changeover
Complicated SRT
Long Prussic
High Traverse
Changeover Blindfold
Assault course

Rigging Skills
Prussik Knot
Derig Jammed Crab
Derig Rebelay
Derig Deviation
Fig Of Nine
Double Fig Of 8
Fig of 8 Threaded
Fig of 8 (with loop)
Butterfly Knot
Fig of 8 on Bite
Bowline
Double Fishermans
Y-Hang Butterfly
Traverse Line
Deviation
Knot Pass
Bolting
Barrel Knot

Rescue Skills
Snatch Rescue Croll to Croll
Snatch Rescue-Casualty on descenders
Snatch rescue-casualty brute force
Snatch rescue-casualty counter balance
Top-rope cut
Mid-rope cut
Z-rig

Technical Training
Surveying
Use of Plugs and Feathers
Scaffolding a Square Section shaft
Shoring
Using a Gas Monitor
Hilti Capping

Good idea. I've been collaborating with Rostam on the handbook but this seems more 'future-proof' - can be updated with the times. Maybe a list of good fresher friendly caves and brief descriptions would also be good.

I'm also currently working on updating the BCA advice for higher education clubs (which hasn't seen daylight since the NCA days). This could be a good 'unofficial' counterpart to the new guidelines

aricooperdavis

Fantastic overview of what to cover for SRT training Alistair, that'll come in handy for "syllabuses"! My only comment would be that we find it much easier to convince students to come along for a couple of hours than we do to take a full day for training sessions, and as such we'd split your first session into about 4.