Virus Warnings Popups

paulf

Hi over the last few days I keep getting Virus & Spyware warnings (pop ups) when I log on & when I go to another topic  :unsure:
Anyone else ?

bubba

Administrator
I suspect it's your PC, not this site ;)

Run your antivirus and the usual anti-spyware apps like adaware and spybot....

martinm

Or use a decent OS! I don't use any antivirus or usual anti-spyware apps like adaware and spybot, cos I use Linux. (Have done since 2000.) Never get any problems like this...

Peter Burgess

paulf said:
Hi over the last few days I keep getting Virus & Spyware warnings (pop ups) when I log on & when I go to another topic  :unsure:
Anyone else ?
Don't you dare send me any emails till you've sorted it out! :(

Cave_Troll

martinm said:
Or use a decent OS! I don't use any antivirus or usual anti-spyware apps like adaware and spybot, cos I use Linux. (Have done since 2000.) Never get any problems like this...
Well you might want to think about it. Viruses for Linux do exist, proving that it can be done, its just that nobody can be bothered.

graham

Cave_Troll said:
martinm said:
Well you might want to think about it. Viruses for Linux do exist, proving that it can be done, its just that nobody can be bothered.

They will, though. As the mac's market share grew the number of viruses also grew as they became worth exploiting. It is only a matter of time until Linux gets a quality crop as well.

Christian_Chourot

Not sure that they'll ever be that effective on Linux, it's often a complete arse to get new things to work even when you're sitting there trying and have full administrative privileges!  :)

graham

Christian_Chourot said:
Not sure that they'll ever be that effective on Linux, it's often a complete arse to get new things to work even when you're sitting there trying and have full administrative privileges!  :)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

SamT

martinm said:

I've never understood that mentality,

I still get mac users smugly saying to me - "duh - I dont bother with Antivirus etc no need you see".

if I where a hacker/spammer etc, I know which target group I might start paying close attention to.

bubba

Administrator
SamT said:
I've never understood that mentality
It's an attempt to be smug without thinking it through.

As the uptake of any OS grows, so will the amount of associated malware.

H

hoehlenforscher

BTW I ended up reformating the hard drive! :thumbsdown:

paul

It's funny how news of worms. viruses, etc. seems to be spread repeatedly and rapidly by purveyors on Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software.... not saying that there are such incidents though.

Another long time Linux user who isn't too worried.

graham

paul said:
Another long time Linux user who isn't too worried.

Well, I am a long-time Windows user who hasn't suffered from any of this stuff for many, many years. If you have a decent set-up to begin with and keep it maintained (virtually all of which is automatic, on the 4 PCs that I look after) then you won't have any problems.

bubba

Administrator
If Linux had the software that I need available then I'd switch. As it stands it's not really a realistic alternative to Windows/Mac for anyone who needs quality software. When things like Photoshop/Ableton Live/Traktor Pro/etc have proper Linux competitors then I'll think again. Until then it's just a quirky alternative.

Of course, ukcaving.com runs on Linux servers but that's a different matter entirely.

A well looked after copy of XP is just fine for me but that said I'm currently trying to install Fedora 10 on an old laptop next to me :)

Peter Burgess

Call me a cynic ("You're a cynic!") - Thanks - but mcafee website shows this worm as 'low risk' to domestic and corporate systems. So why all the hype? The patch is easy-peasy to download. Well-established virus protection organisations are aware of it and if they are doing their business properly, will have updated their clients' anti-virus checks just as they do for other attacks.

What strikes me is how often the organisation "F-secure" is mentioned in the BBC article. Now, who might be trying to raise their profile and use the BBC as a free medium to achieve that end? How many people have gone to see the F-secure website, the home page of which is a dirty great advert for their anti-virus package? So who is "worming" their way by devious means into other people's computers?

Difficult one that!

paul

bubba said:
If Linux had the software that I need available then I'd switch. As it stands it's not really a realistic alternative to Windows/Mac for anyone who needs quality software. When things like Photoshop/Ableton Live/Traktor Pro/etc have proper Linux competitors then I'll think again. Until then it's just a quirky alternative.

Same here - except the opposite in that I have several Linux-only packages I use all the time. If I wish to use a Windows-only package, I just reboot to Windows (having a dual-boot setup). I only connect to the Internet while in Linux though... and occasionally with Windows for patches atec. Best of both worlds!