Caving??!!

H

Heather

Hi I was wondering if any one could help me out, I am looking to start caving and not quite sure how to go about it....
I remember going with my parents to Cango caves and Sudwala caves when we lived in South Africa and wanting to go 'off the beaten track' so to speak, but just havent a clue where to start, plus i live in Northampton, which isnt exactly known for its caves... :D

H

SamT

best way would be to join a club local club, I suppose the nearest caving area to you would be the peakdistrict - an hour or two up the m1 - there a few clubs - Orpheus, or the Masson, or the TSG (technical Speleo Group). Then there is the Mendips in cheddar. There are some strong clubs down there - the wessex, the BEC (bristol exploration club). have a look around on the web,.

www.caving.uk.com has an alphabetical list of clubs as does 'Descent' magazine - try looking there. Look for a club that meets regularly at weekends. You dont really have to be local to the club to join since a lot of people have to travel to the respcetive area to go caving as is.

Hope you find something that suits - let us know how you get on.

paul

I'll second SamT's advice: the best way to get involved in caving is to join a club. You'l find cavers willing to "show you the ropes" to get you started and the club will have gear necessary for going caving plus the ability to sort out access to various caves where required plus a regular schedule of caving trips to various caving regions in the UK (plus trips aborad as well).

I'm a member of the Orpheus C.C. and we have members living in Rugby (sort of your neck of the woods) who cave regularly in the Peak, Yorkshire Dales, South Wales etc.

D

Dave H

I live just up the road from you (not too far from Althorpe House)
There was a club in Northampton quite a few years back. [My mother told me that if I couldn't say anything nice, then I shouldn't say anything at all - so I won't mention that the members I spoke to in a pub one evening did not know what a life-line was!] I don't know what they are like now, or if they are still going.
I'll speak to you more via a private message.

D

Dave H

A quick search of Google lists a few cavers in the Northants area, but no sign of the Northampton Caving Association - although I'm sure I'll be shot down in flames by a member in a few minutes :?

One point I did pick up on is how many of us in Northants lead Scouts from other counties on caving trips. Northants Scouts, don't subscribe to caving trips for their members. Are there many other counties like this?

Hammy

There are other ways to get started in the sport/pastime rather than joining a club - I'm not a 'clubby' sort of person at all and much prefer to find my own way with these things.

It definitely helps if you have somebody to cave with who is like-minded and also wants to find things out for themselves.

There are plenty of books and information available and all you really need is a helmet and lamp (£2 to hire from caving shops), an old set of waterproofs and wellies and a good helping of common sense and off you go!! The staff in the shops are generally very helpful and will give you a few ideas of places to go and things to watch out for. (ie don't go when it's raining.....)

If you want to get involved in more technical caving - vertical stuff - it might be a good idea to hire a professional instructor for a day or two, who would be able to lend you equipment and give you a good idea of how to use it before you decide whether or not you want to start spending lots of cash setting yourself up properly.

Happy caving!! It's fun!!

H

Heather

You guys are great, thanks for all the advice, i have asked my dad and he is intrested as well, so will more than likely join a club and see where it goes from there....
thanks again
H :D

paul

Hammy said:
There are other ways to get started in the sport/pastime rather than joining a club - I'm not a 'clubby' sort of person at all and much prefer to find my own way with these things.

I agree with your point of view as one alternative for those who don't like the idea of getting involved in clubs. I started the same way years ago with a small group of friends.

However, we soon realised there was a limitation to what we could do caving-wise. A club will ususally have loads of equipment (ladders, ropes, etc.) that would be very expensive for a small group of friends to buy - plus there will be more bodies to carry it all! I've been on many trips caving abroad which would have been impossible or very dificult with a small group of friends.

Many caves, especially in the Yorkshire Dales require permits for access. Quite a few caves require Third-Party Liability insurance. These sorts of things are usually only available to bona fide clubs.

You also meet may other cavers with a wide range of personalities and interests.

Joining a club will ususally gain you much more access to caves both in the UK and abroad.

Many clubs allow newcomers to become prospective members and gain many of the benefits while allowing the to decide if caving and or the club is for them.