Blaenau Ffestiniog question

Cantclimbtom

Hi all, since Maen Offeren is still being worked, which historical quarries should be visited outside of working time? Also do they work Saturdays?

Cantclimbtom

If Votty/Bowydd is getting untopped then obviously that area's out of bounds during work, but does work mean any others near there, say.. Diffwys is affected by the location, i e. Maenofferen workers or security tell you to clear off if you go near Diffwys? I'm thinking Fridays + Saturday also.

Obviously the trouble is looking on maps and resources (e.g. Coflein) I'm not getting much feel for how it relates. I realise the solution is "get your wellies and coat and have a look" but it's not local to me so I wouldn't want to go there on say a Friday and have a wasted journey.

Any guidance or local knowledge appreciated

ChrisJC

None of the quarries on that site are being worked.

There is an operation which is processing the tips for aggregate near the Votty pit. But that is it.

There is no officially sanctioned access to any of the quarries on that site though.

Chris.

ChrisJC

Cosmo Smallpiece said:
There's a public footpath that goes up from Blaenau right past Maenofferen, is there not? Plus further paths at the top.

There are multiple paths through the site, but none of them go underground for any part of their route.

Chris.

Cantclimbtom

ChrisJC said:
... There are multiple paths through the site, but none of them go underground for any part of their route.

Chris.
Disgusting, let me write to the highways dept of Gwynedd council to castigate them for their oversight ;) We need a BCA campaign.. more underground footpaths, not just the rare: railway tunnel cycle path