Dales DistoX training day

DaveR

Just a quick public thanks for the efforts put in to teach us non-geeks the rudiments of electronic cave surveying and drawing.
Footleg (or is it Footloose as I heard at one point?) and Co travelled a long way and I for one learned a lot (although it feels like a little compared to the experts!)
Anyway chaps, thanks for a really useful, informative and enjoyable day.
:clap:
Cheers,
Dave

wookey

Yes, full marks to Footleg for knowing what he is talking about and communicating that in a comprehensible way. And to Allan Richardson for sorting out dates, place, accomodation, advertising and generally chivvying to make sure things run to plan.

It was great to see a good number of people who haven't been to these things before. I hope everyone got useful information out of it and didn't find hanging around watching people calibrate distoX's and argue with computers to be be too tedious an activity :)

Anything anyone has to say about things they thought good/bad about the day is appreciated so we can make sure future meets are useful/relevant. (It's currently looking like there will be another survey training event of some type in South Wales later this year).

For example did some people want more basic info about surveying (choosing stations, using non-electronic instruments)? Clearly for computer-related teaching we really need a beamer or a collaborative format as suggested below.

One thing that came out of Sunday was that a whole day (or maybe even weekend) session on the computing/drawing-up end of things is probably in order as it's all very complicated and being able to learn from others whilst trying to do stuff is the most efficient method of getting up to speed. I suppose that could be a winter session as we'll all just be sat indoors geeking :)

Goydenman

I too found it very useful. Turned up about ready to throw the Disox through the window but left eager to start using it with the illusion I know what I am doing  ;)
If you did it again a projector for the laptop would have been useful so image bigger and all can see - would have been happy to bring one along if I knew. If there is another one I would be happy to attend again and would encourage others to do so - excellent day thanks.

Chris Fox