a thin undersuit

H

Huw Groucutt

I'm finding my furry undersuit a bit hot for some of the caving i'm doing and as i've only used dragon stuff i was wondering whether anyone can reccomend any other makes for a fairly thin undersuit, warmbac, beavor etc??

Stu

i have a daleswear thin fleece u/suit. i think was £25 from the factory. very good imho

H

Huw Groucutt

cheers Stu, looked at Daleswear website, thin undersuit there looks good and its cheap.

Anyone else reccomend any thing undersuits?

dunc

I've also been using a Daleswear undersuit, the 'Kingsdale' version for 5 years now and its served me well...

Dunc

ian mckenzie

Our caves here are colder than yours, but drier. We often wear both thin polypropylene underwear and a furry suit under our oversuits. I have found tho that two-piece combos are better than full furry suits so that the jacket and/or pants can be deleted if you think you're going to have a warm trip. Pile or fleece jackets are also widely available at regular or discount clothes shops and you can pick them up cheap off-season - get the full zip version rather than the pullover so you can unzip to cool off. Stuffing a balaclava, toque ("wooly hat") or neck-gaiter into your tacklebag can help with those waits at pitches if you've underdressed.

SamT

Balaclava is definatly a must - I always carry one in my lid. I've been using a warmback furry for 3 years now. Bear in mind - that I'm as nesh as a nesh thing ( :( ) so the warmer the better for me. Ive started wearing a helly themal layer under it if I think it will be cold or a neo/fleece for wet stuff.

The problem with two piece stuff is tops tend to ruck up round your chest if your crawling a lot - not helpful :x . And I find my furry is too baggy to be of real insulating value.
Modern climbing thermals (powerstreach/capaline) would be far warmer and less cumbersome albeit more expensive.

Anyone out there splashed out for the Petzl undersuit. I think they are made of powerstretch - I reckon they could be the buisness. If you want to be warm that is .

Doesn't help you much though Huw. How about trying just a thin thermal top and leggins.

H

Huw Groucutt

SamT said:
How about trying just a thin thermal top and leggins.

Yeah it's a possibility i guess, i've found thermals tend to ruck up on the ankles and wrists which is a bit annoying if your wearing a rough oversuit.

I've been finding my oversuit a bit hot for several trips now but Darren Cilau really pissed me off, after the hard stuff like the crawl and the pitches you can walk along for a couple of miles without touching the walls, even with oversuit off down to the waist and undersuit zip nearly fully underdone i was still overheating. Then the hard rock extensions are even worse cos theres loads of dry sandy crawls, you can either boil and keep the sand out of your suit, or undo your suit and get about 5 tonnes of sand in your suit, and lots of nasty rubbing....i got both!

Might get one of the thin daleswear ones, they look good and cheap.

T

Titch98

I use a 3mm wetsuit (do not know make, but was brought from a Watersport shop and not caving specific) for some time now with no problems in wet and dry caves. Normally throw a thin Boilersuit over the top to protect the wetsuit. At the end of the day, it's down to individual prefs.