Author Topic: Famous bit of dive kit  (Read 1951 times)

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
Famous bit of dive kit
« on: July 09, 2021, 02:07:07 pm »

Not sure if this has been put out on other diving media.  Anyone guess whose it is, what it is and where it was first used?

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: Famous bit of dive kit
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 02:11:26 pm »
Looks like an early generation emergency search reel, of the kind which started to appear in the wake of the tragic loss of Ian Plant four decades ago. We were all encouraged to add a search reel to our gear by Geoff Yeadon, who produced a CDG publication on line laying and following shortly afterwards.

Where was it found? (This might narrow things down, by checking dates of dive logs in the CDG Newsletter.)

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 02:16:28 pm »
Here's a very tentative guess; did it come out of the gavel to Witches II sump?

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 02:17:08 pm »
It was found on a table in a pub in Kirkby Lonsdale.  It's a bit of a quizz Pitlamp - I, fortunately, know the answer.   :smartass: ;) ;D

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 02:18:58 pm »
Ah - sorry; I'll not spoil your quiz then.  ;)

At least I'm confident as to the "what" part of your question. (I've still got one like that somewhere, although the design has now been superseded.)

Offline blackshiver

• stalker
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 07:55:35 pm »
Pooh, and Poohs Revenge?
I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel.

Offline Cantclimbtom

• menacing presence
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 09:03:16 am »
Pooh, and Poohs Revenge?
That might describe the gents in the Red Dragon after some ***** stole the flush handle. Last seen on a table in the bar
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 10:15:42 pm »
Nearly forgot about this one.  This is Geoff Yeadon's search reel.  Made by himself out of plumbing bits.  It was the first he ever made and probably the first in the country and maybe beyond.  It was first deployed in the discovery of King Pot Inlet.  Anyway he brought it down the pub the other week and I thought 'what an interesting thing', I'll share.

;D

Offline s_allshorn

• regular
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 09:19:46 am »
Is he going to start auctioning locks of hair and toe clipping so we can have our very own bit of cave diver?

Offline Blueberry

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 09:01:33 am »
Is he going to start auctioning locks of hair and toe clipping so we can have our very own bit of cave diver?

Is that so he can live forever? are you thinking of cloning him?

Offline Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 09:06:39 am »
What is it for?

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 09:09:19 am »
They're used in line loss situation, for searching systematically for the line, rather than just swimming around randomly.

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 09:16:32 am »
As Pitlamp says above, it is an emergency search reel for cave diving.  Geoff made it following the death of Ian Plant in a sump.  If you lose the main line you can use it to relocate or use it to check out leads such as the King Pot inlet.

Geoff doesn't need cloning as having reached seventy he has now started to get younger due to the amount of caving/digging he is doing.  Takes three trips a week in his stride.  I suspect that when he gets back into his forties he'll take up cave diving again.
 :o

Offline Benfool

• forum star
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 09:24:46 am »
You should definitely not be using your search real for looking at leads - its for emergency use only!

B

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 10:22:10 am »
As Pitlamp says above, it is an emergency search reel for cave diving.  Geoff made it following the death of Ian Plant in a sump.  If you lose the main line you can use it to relocate or use it to check out leads such as the King Pot inlet.

I'm not a cave diver so forgive my ignorance; I'm just interested! How does the "lose/relocate" system work? Is the rescue line attached to the dive line and then you "reel yourself back in" if you get lost?

Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Online SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 10:28:23 am »
I'm not a diver, but I think it goes along the lines of ..

you've lost the main line and zero viz so thus are a bit screwed.   so you belay your emergency line to a suitable belay, and quest off in the direction you think the main line will be in.   If you find it great, you can attached your emergency line to it, return to the temp belay to un attach it, and follow it back to the main line.   If you don't find it, you can return to the temporary belay, and quest off in a different direction, presumably using some sort of system to work round the compass.  All the while remaining cool as a cucumber despite your diminishing air supply.  :yucky: :'(

Offline Benfool

• forum star
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 10:46:39 am »
Yep, pretty much what Sam said.

You've lost the line in zero visibility. You attach the line reel to a handy rock (some emergency line reels have a lead weight on it so you dont need to do this) and use this to find the line. This can be done using several methods - one of which is to head out in spokes like Sam mentioned. Another is to feed out a length of line and go around in a circle looking for the line until you think you've gone all the way around. Then feed out another length and go around again. Repeat until you've either found the line or run out of gas.

Its really hard and is a last resort. Most import thing is to not loose the line in the first place.

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 11:04:24 am »
You should definitely not be using your search real for looking at leads - its for emergency use only!

B

I'll let you give Geoff a telling off then  ;D

Offline Benfool

• forum star
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 12:04:08 pm »
I wasn't trying to be difficult, honest!

Lots of aspiring cave divers read this forum, I just wanted to make sure that these inexperienced divers didn't get the wrong impression and thought that using their search reel for exploration was good practice.

The Grand Master can definitely assess his own level of risk!

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 02:22:23 pm »
Yep, pretty much what Sam said.

You've lost the line in zero visibility. You attach the line reel to a handy rock (some emergency line reels have a lead weight on it so you dont need to do this) and use this to find the line. This can be done using several methods - one of which is to head out in spokes like Sam mentioned. Another is to feed out a length of line and go around in a circle looking for the line until you think you've gone all the way around. Then feed out another length and go around again. Repeat until you've either found the line or run out of gas.

Its really hard and is a last resort. Most import thing is to not loose the line in the first place.

Would dive lines usually be to the side of passages or chambers? (I'm thinking mines here rather than narrow cave systems)? Or could they run though large flooded chambers?
If the line runs through the middle of a chamber, when you re-find the line, how do you know in which direction to follow it? I've seen tags/arrows tied on the line....?

Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline Benfool

• forum star
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 02:36:59 pm »
The line could be anywhere and would very much depend on the passage itself and how much visibility the diver had when they laid it.

Indeed, when the diver eventually found the line again, they could be in a situation where they don't know which direction is out. Often divers put markers on the line when they originally lay it (bits of tape shaped as arrows, actual plastic arrows or 2 cable ties together of different lengths), which can hopefully give somebody an indication of the way out. Alternatively the diver could try one direction and see if any of the features on the line (for example line belays or walls or features on the floor) are familiar, or try and find an area with better visibility to then use a compass.

Non of this is ideal though, hence the emphasis on not loosing the line!

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 06:26:03 pm »

B

I'll let you give Geoff a telling off then  ;D

:lol:   :clap2:

Paul Atkinson borrowed my search reel on the day he discovered the Shallow Route in Joint Hole.  (I was on the surface when I gave it to him though.  :smartass: )

What doesn't seem to have been emphasised above is the importance of trying to stay aware of the main trend of the main line at all times. This then allows you to swim at 90 degrees to where it should be running, greatly increasing the chances of recovering the main line again. The compass is one of the most important pieces of equipment for a cave diver.

Offline Duncan Price

• forum star
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 08:54:47 am »
The compass is one of the most important pieces of equipment for a cave diver.

...its principle use is to tell you where your (steel) cylinders are.

8)

Offline Blueberry

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 10:19:32 am »
The longest time I know of  anyone having lost the main line and having to search for the main line, (out line) is 28 minutes. (you have to live). Cave Pollatoomary, diver Artur Kozlowski, 2011. See 'The Darkness Beckons' Martyn Farr 2017 edition pages 163-165. For more information.  Half an hour, trying to keep it all together shows a certain mental resilience. 

Offline Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 11:41:31 am »

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal