Massive forum changes - please read

bubba

Administrator
Ok, this is probably a bit of a shock to you all, but I have finally upgraded the forum software as I said I would a while ago.

Why?
SMF is a much better forum system than phpBB. There are many reasons for this, especially from the admin/upgrading/security/moderation angles, but the main thing you should notice is that the board runs faster.

SMF is also far less of a target for hack attacks then phpBB was - considering this I have turned guest access back on.

Problems
Please post of any problems you find in here...

- Time: the time will appear incorrect. To sort this out, go to your profile, select "look and feel preferences" and set a time offset of 6 if you are in the UK. The time will now show correctly.

- Avatars: the conversion software didn't work with avatars - you will need to re-upload - sorry!!!!

- Smileys: are not working, but I will get this sorted now....

- Search: the search index will have to be rebuilt which means that search will not return full results for a while. This is an unavoidable side-effect of the upgrade and will correct itself over time.

Thanks and hope the shock isn't too much to the system!

bubba

Administrator
Smilies fixed...

I have imported the Smiley set from ukbouldering.com - some users may find these over the top/annoying so please let me know if that's the case...

bubba

Administrator
To set "Quick Reply" on, go to your profile, "look and layout options" - this is a very handy feature...

bubba

Administrator
Ok, definitely fixed now coz I've just tested it (as you can see!)

Smileys: What I might do is offer a cut down set and then let users select whether they want just the basic ones or the full biff - would that be helpful?

bubba

Administrator
One thing that I've just noticed that animated gifs that need resizing won't work...but then that's not such a bad thing as animated avatars are a bit of a pain anyway.

bubba

Administrator
How important to you all was the old image at the top of the old board?

I want to put something up but just wondering what people thought...

Brains

The show unread posts thing doesnt seem to work for me - having to go through looking at the times to see whats new...

B

BCMCXIV

Like the new look a lot. Very futuristic and streamlined... :goodidea:

o_O mmmm see what you mean by - over the top/annoying smileys  :D

:read: I cannot get in via my normal link from my club page  :wave:  - http://www.cheddar-caving-club.org.uk/

:dance1: Does our moderator have to do something?    :confused:    who do I get in touch with?  :-\ 

:goodidea:  looks good ,    :great:  but have to spend a few more hours at my PC finding my way round again  :cry:

:-[  whoops almost lost this by pressing the wrong button,  :(  so where is my profile ...  :-\

bubba

Administrator
Yes, you might have to change your link if you link directly to the Cheddar CC sub-forum. Can't see the link on your site though.

There's a link to your profile at the top of the page.

Stu

It might take some time to get used to it  :eek:. Will we be able to change the style of the borders etc?