• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

desperate advice needed

P

pbella29

hi ppl,

got a tough question for ya:

where on earth does someone living in norfolk start out in caving?

i've had a search about and local clubs are kinda thin on the ground..

any advice/offers much appreciated.

regards, paul.

Les W

What  :eek:

Do you not have any caves in Norfolk then?  ;) ;)

Seriously though, You will need to travel to Mendip, Wales or Derbyshire (dont forget Yorkshire)

Wessex have members in Cambridge and Bedford that you could car share to get to Mendip if you wanted to. I'm sure other clubs will have members near you that can help get you caving in the other regions as well.  (y)

Stupot

Have you spoken with NMR (Norfolk Mountain Rescue) - they maybe able to assist.

I would say your closest area will be the Peak District, although still a good trek  :(

Stu.

SamT

Agree with others - Im afraid its going to involve travelling, its best to get involved with a club if you are not local to an area - as then you can plan weekend trips with them. Choose an area thats closest to you, Peak District, Mendips are probably best.

Good luck  (y)

P

pbella29

thanks for the quick replies and advice - any clubs recommendations for the peak district?

i have scoured the web and abused google for hours but still i believe nothing beats a personal recommendation..

regrads, paul.

graham

There are chalk quarries under Norwich, but I believe that access is an issue - except when a bus breaks through the roof as happened some years back.

caving_fox

The Cambridge non-uni club the CCCC as mentioned above, does already have some members living out Norfolk way. They're friendly and happy to do some beginner's trips to help you get started. They also have an assortment of gear for you to borrow while you decide if you like caving. They normally do weekend trips once a month, so if you could get the train to Cambridge for about 6-7pm on a Friday someone would normally be able pick you up from there. I think the next trip is to the Peak District in early June. Contact details as per the website above.

H

Hurricane

SWCC (South Wales Caving Club) has 2 members Andy and Dave Dobson (brothers!) who live in Norwich and travel to S Wales about every 4 weeks. They can probably give you a lift - they arrive just in time for the pub! They also attend most of othe SWCC meets in Mendip, the Peaks and Yorkshire too. They also travel out to France/ N Spain every summer for some caving. Let me know if you want their details (obvously not about to post them here!).

If you want to join a large friendly active club http://www.swcc.org.uk/aboutswcc/join.php - mebers live in NZ, Alaska, France, London, Nortwih, Scotland, Yorkshire, Wales etc etc... the hut is awsome too!

P

pbella29

wow, awesome response - thx. i have made contact with cccc and have committed myself to a peak district trip in early june. they were very friendly and helpful - a fair reflection on the community as a whole it seems...

gonna try it out and maybe also take you guys up on some of your offers too at a later date.

thanks again.

regards, paul.

ttxela

pbella29 said:
wow, awesome response - thx. i have made contact with cccc and have committed myself to a peak district trip in early june. they were very friendly and helpful - a fair reflection on the community as a whole it seems...

gonna try it out and maybe also take you guys up on some of your offers too at a later date.

thanks again.

regards, paul.

So how did it go?

SamT

pbella was last active on 14th may - the date of the last post. so dont think we'll get a response  :confused:

SamT

:clap:  :bow:

thats brilliant, Seems like 'life' is one big mountain for those guys. Hats off to the guys who run it/volunteer etc...

"The team is based at Pidley Social Club in Warboys Road Pidley, 88 feet above sea level, the highest point in the fens. "