Roaring Hole (Chapel-le-Dale) Anchors

GarDouth

Administrator
ROARING HOLE

The prototype PECO anchors in Roaring Hole that have been due for removal were removed at the weekend and will be replaced within the next couple of months. Unfortunately it was too wet to install new ones at the weekend.

It is possible to rig Roaring exclusively from naturals but owing to the loose nature of the rock this is not recommended so if you were planning a trip please postpone it for now. The new IC anchors should be in place soon.

Please check the CNCC website for updates before you visit.

More details here: https://cncc.org.uk/news/roaring-hole-anchor-replacement

Roaring cave page: https://www.cncc.org.uk/cave/roaring-hole

Alex

Sorry I realised that may had made me sound flippant, it's been a while since I have been in there. I recall a hand line on the first pitch (is that still there?) and I don't recall rigging a rope anywhere except for the last pitch. My memory could be wrong, of course.

Simon Wilson

Alex, you can climb those drops in Roaring Hole but how many people could?

This is one of the difficult decisions that installers have to make. At what point does a climb become a pitch? Is it possible to write a protocol on which to base that decision? It isn't easy whilst staying within our installers' guidance.

Our guidance includes installing the minimum number of anchors and that caves are not training areas.

How do we decide whether a drop needs anchors or if it can be left as a free climb? If it is in a difficult cave where only experienced cavers can be expected to go, do we expect the cavers to have a higher ability in climbing? On the other hand if it is an easy cave where we can expect leaders to take novices do we lower the level and place anchors on a drop that an experienced caver can climb? If we do the latter are we crossing the line and creating training areas?

For information, there is a knotted rope handline on the first drop in Roaring and it is attached to a good natural belay. There are/were also anchors to rig it as a pitch.

Alex

Well really I should have consulted the topo, my answers (except for the hand line question which Simon kindly answered) are in that topo and it does co-inside with my memory. I think what I thought was the last pitch was pitch 3 I never actually got to pitch 4 as I could find no way on in the pool at the bottom (It was rather wet on the way in, I guess it was sumped).