• Hello From Descent

The publication date for issue 289 is the 10th of December, meaning subscribers should receive their copies during the week leading up to that date. It is also available from caving suppliers such as Inglesport and Starless River, or from our new website

New Descent board here:

AS (and Clown) hangers tested

aricooperdavis

They were testing Climbing Technology soft anchors (which I can't actually find on their website), but they look very similar to the AS anchors that Tony sells. I assume they're also using the Beal 5mm Dyneema as I don't know of any other manufacturer making that stuff.

The dyneema broke at 14kN when clipped with a carabiner. When tied directly in with an 8mm static rope the 8mm broke first at 11kN. They tried to break the hanger itself with by rethreading it with a stronger 4mm dyneema but that broke first too at 16kN.

So basically the hangers are over 50% stronger than they're rated for, which is a good safety margin.

Huge

I used AS as a generic term for this type of hanger. Although I wasn't aware before watching this that any other manufacturer made them. They also test a homemade version.