• FREE SpanSet Technical Day

    Rescue and Evacuation Tech Day / Launch of New Gotcha 2 Rescue Kit

    An informative day for those involved in Work at Height. Ideal opportunity to meet with SpanSet, network with industry colleagues and learn about the new Gotcha2 Rescue Kit.

    Details here

Lead mines/caves with calcite formations under dressing areas

Tim Pickering

New member
I'm doing a spot of research into lead speciation in relation to historic mining activity in the Dales. I'm currently trying to identify a suitable site but it's proving a little tricky. For example, I thought Faggergill might be a good option but there is little information online and I've not had any response from speculative emails. Another potential is Fossil Cave, which is a little easier to gather information about. If anyone has a good knowledge of the caves/mines in the Grassington Moor/Swaledale area, or can put me in touch with someone in the know then please feel free to message me. It would be greatly appreciated.  (y)
 

blackshiver

New member
Being a chemist and a North East caver I think your being too specific, dressing floors are generally below entrance adits so that restricts things somewhat. You also need caves or mines with formations below dressing floors....of which I can think of none personally. If you are interested in secondary mineralisation deposit formation or contamination of calcite formations with lead compounds then you might have to think out of the box. Like the lower levels of large stopes in mines such as Smallcleugh / Capelcleugh or caves with lead mines above them like Mongo Gill.
Hope that helps.....
 

NewStuff

New member
There is (possibly) one. It caused a massive ruckus on here when pictures popped up. Lots of long straws from the roof. Proceed with caution, I'm sure someone will kick off about it at some point.

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=17620.0

 

AR

Well-known member
The tunnel referred to above is a quarry rather than a lead mine feature, and is in the Peak District, not the Dales.

There are several mines in the Peak where there are underground dressing floors, and I can also think of an example of a very well-decorated drainage level that runs under mine tips.
 

blackshiver

New member
Just a thought, Crackpot cave in Swaledale has formations aplenty and is below the Summer Lodge Mine and its dam.
 

Tim Pickering

New member
Cheers for all the replies. Most appreciated.

Crackpot sounds like it has potential. It's drip-water I'm wanting to analyse hence the desire for speleothems. I'll have a look into that. Thanks.
 

droid

Active member
NewStuff said:
There is (possibly) one. It caused a massive ruckus on here when pictures popped up. Lots of long straws from the roof. Proceed with caution, I'm sure someone will kick off about it at some point.

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=17620.0

If I recall correctly, that was below a lime kiln....
 

NewStuff

New member
droid said:
NewStuff said:
There is (possibly) one. It caused a massive ruckus on here when pictures popped up. Lots of long straws from the roof. Proceed with caution, I'm sure someone will kick off about it at some point.

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=17620.0

If I recall correctly, that was below a lime kiln....

It appears so. I mainly remembered the straws and rapid growth rates, and of course the utter indignation and associated crap thrown around, rather than what was actually being mined.
 

Allan

Member
Hi Tim
I suggest you contact the Nenthead Mines Conservation Society, though Nenthead might be a bit far North for your study.
Cheers
Allan
 

petejackson

New member
Allan said:
Hi Tim
I suggest you contact the Nenthead Mines Conservation Society, though Nenthead might be a bit far North for your study.
Cheers
Allan
Tim - we have just the place for you!  See our website for contact info.  www.nentheadmines.com
 

Tim Pickering

New member
Thanks everyone for all your useful advice. I had a look around Summer Lodge mine and went down Crackpot the other day and it's perfect in every way.

Tim - we have just the place for you!  See our website for contact info.  www.nentheadmines.com
[/quote]

Thanks, Pete. I've had a look at the website and I'll definitely pop over some time as I'm keen to learn about every aspect of the lead mining industry.
 
Top