• Dow Cave – The Story of a Cave in Wharfdale

'We've recently received this cracking new book: "Dow Cave - The Story of a Cave in Wharfdale" by Steve and Patrick Warren.

This book digs into the fascinating history and exploration of Dow Cave, a true gem in the Dales. Pop into our shop in Ingleton or order online

Click here for more

Petzl Myo XP

graham

After many years of excellent service, my XP, this one:

img3880.jpg

has developed what seems to be a poor connection in the headset.

Has anyone out there taken one of these apart successfully?

stevejw

graham said:
After many years of excellent service, my XP, this one:

img3880.jpg

has developed what seems to be a poor connection in the headset.

Has anyone out there taken one of these apart successfully?

I had similar fault with mine (same older model - poor connection and overheating). Have you tried contacting Lyon. I took mine back to the shop and they sent it back to Lyon (it was replaced). This was just before the new version (2008?) became available. Still may be worth speaking to Lyon direct. I'm pretty sure I read about similar faults on older Myo's somewhere. I also read a Petzl release about compatibility problems with the older Myo and lithium batteries. This wasn't the problem with mine. If you are thinking of changing regulated version looks nice.

David L

I work in an outdoors shop. Not saying where but have seen at least 5 or 6 in as many months with the same problem returned. I think all were replaced by Lyon. Cable entry to at the front or at the belt battery lead had broken connection. Probably unsuitable cable type in the batch. Haven't seen any problems with the RXP (white updated version with regulated LED)

Bob Smith

I've seen this with 2 XPs. When I took them apart it would appear that cable broke due to corrosion in the wire, probably due to water ingress and a reaction with the constant voltage present. After repairing them I try to remember to dry the light out after each trip and don't store it with batteries in.

Les W

It is possible to take them apart, you just need a very small TORXTM bit. I think from memory it is a No. 6.

graham

After much faffing around & borrowing the wife's Sten when underground, this was finally taken apart yesterday.

The unit itself was fine, no problems with corrosion or anything else. One strand of cable had broken at the point where it enters the unit, that is, where it gets worked hardest when the unit is tilted. Cable shortened, re-soldered & the light now works perfectly again. I reckon it has stood up rather well to a fair few years of use and abuse now.

Cave_Troll

on a related note, one of the posts on this mentioned the RXP.

Apart from "you can set the brightness levels", does anyone know the point of the RXP and any advantages of it over the normal XP given the extra cost.

potholer

It appears that the RXP is regulated, so output at a given power level stays the same as batteries flatten.
That could be good or bad depending on your point of view - generally speaking unregulated gives a longer total runtime than regulated given the same initial output on fresh cells, though with less light at time passes, unless possibly if  the regulated light drops output at some point in battery decline.
That's probably less of an issue for NiMH users than alkaline users, due to the flatter discharge curve of NiMH cells.

Also, RXP is approved for use with lithium AAs.
Doesn't look like the XP is.

rsch

It took less than six months for my RXP to give up on me. It went straight back to the retailer so I've no idea what the exact fault was.