Author Topic: Hello cave diving people.  (Read 883 times)

Offline Tribal Chestnut

• regular
Hello cave diving people.
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:53:51 am »
Thought I'd say hello to the divers as that's why I'm here.

Since I started to get more comfortable underwater, squeezing through wrecks and generally feeling less clumsy in the water, the idea of cave diving started to seem like a not too daft proposition, especially after I was coerced into doing a cavern course which I loved.

I've seen plenty of videos shot in France, Mexico, etc, which tempted me further, so I thought I'd have a stab at 'normal' caving first to see how I faired and if I'd be happy in some more constrained passages a little way from daylight.

So far I've just tarted about around some of the Burrington Combe caves and a trip to Swildon's, but I'm absolutely loving it.

The 'dry'(ish) caving side of it all is such fun that I'm not sure I'll ever feel the urge to dive, my only regret is not doing this earlier in my life.

I plunged through Swildon's sump 1, so could see myself maybe taking some gear down to get me through some of the other sumps (please no one get excited, I can't afford to die at the moment so anything I do will be done safely), but with the way things are going I can't ever see myself having the urge to dive seriously/properly/whatever in caves.

Today was pretty good as I took my daughter into a couple of easy caves for the first time and she was quite happy - no claustrophobia issues & didn't even fuss about the spiders on the way into (& out of) Sidcot Swallet. I'm especially pleased as she was petrified when I took her into Gough's Cave and the Hellfire Caves when she was younger.

So I suppose this post is a 'thank you' to cave divers as without you I wouldn't have discovered such a bloody awesome activity that I can also enjoy with the little one.

Thanks!

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: Hello cave diving people.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:43:20 am »
If you've been actively caving on Mendip you'll no doubt be in contact with one or two caving clubs (directly or indirectly). This should mean it'd not be too difficult to find a way to speak to Cave Diving Group members.

I'd recommend that you get to know one or two CDG folk; they can chat through what you're doing and perhaps help steer you away from situations which, if things do go wrong, would be outside your own diving experience. Apart from making it safer for you it would probably mean they could also make recommendations as to where to go (or not to go) so you might enjoy it more as a result. If you then decide to pursue it a bit more seriously, you'd already be in contact with the right people who could oversee your progression as safely as possible.

The above isn't just my advice, it's standard advice. Enjoy - but stay safe.

Offline Tribal Chestnut

• regular
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 12:46:10 pm »
Thanks Pitlamp. I was on the verge of joining a particular club, but have since been in contact with another that seems like a much better option.

I did meet a CDG bod earlier this year at my local puddle so I could have a chat with him before taking things any further. I'd require some new kit and time spent in OW using it, so crawling through sumps will not be happening any time soon.

Also, I'm really enjoying the dry stuff & looking forward to getting stuck into some more serious ropework etc, so will be quite content with that for the foreseeable future.

Offline ah147

• forum star
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:37:07 pm »
This is how it starts...

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 07:04:15 pm »
ah147 is bang on there . . . . !

You crack on with the dry caving; the more of that you can get under your belt the better, if one day you'd like to dive in caves.

One other piece of advice; if you offer to help carry gear for people who are actively cave diving, it's a very good way to learn. You can see the different ways folk set their gear up (and discuss why, once they're back out of the water). It's also more caving experience. When the time comes to apply to join the CDG, if you decide to take things that far, then you'll already be known.

Most of the equipment is exactly what you'll be used to as an O.W. diver - it's just configured differently.

Good luck.