Author Topic: Cumberland cavern parking  (Read 504 times)

Offline amozzer

Cumberland cavern parking
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:18:24 pm »
Not been to Cumberland cavern Matlock bath for a couple of years, Anyone know if it's still OK to park on the area following the road round to the right of the New Bath hotel
Many thanks

Offline markpot

• menacing presence
Re: Cumberland cavern parking
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:38:42 pm »
Cavers are avoiding parking there.New bath hotel have private parking signs up at the moment.There is limited free parking on clifton road,or the pay and display below Gullivers.Check the DCA access database.Cumberland entrance is currently closed.Access is via Wapping entrance.Pete knight will know the exact position re New Bath parking.

Offline markpot

• menacing presence
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:41:19 pm »

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:43:45 pm »
A friend of mine asked at the hotel recently about parking and was told no, so unfortunately still needs to be avoided unless DCA have an update on the situation?
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • Peak Instruction, DCMC, DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 09:50:25 pm »
Ah, this one again!
So, DCA have heard from a few cavers over the last couple of months with varying experiences. I think Nige Atkins popped in for a chat and all was well with parking there as it was in the past, but there have been reports of a couple of issues more recently when cavers went in to ask permission. Mind you, I know a team who went last week with no issues at all. DCA would probably officially suggest you make alternative parking plans in the absence of a clear, repeated permission.

Personally speaking, I've not had any problems ever. I park at the far end on the 'dirty' verge bit, keeping clear of the hotel windows and 'nicer' parking. I've not had any problems, but have never asked for permission. Never been covert though, so it can't be that bad. Crack on, say sorry if accosted and let me/DCA know if you have any issues.

Offline amozzer

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 06:04:38 pm »
Thanks for the update

Offline DCA

• the DCA
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 05:34:09 pm »
Parking at the New Bath Hotel is allowed for cavers.

At the moment, please pop into the hotel and let them know who you are and how long you intend to be parked there. Please park as far away from the hotel as you can, be quiet and considerate.
We will be reviewing this later in the year an may introduce a more formal permit arrangement.

Nigel Atkins
DCA Access co coordinator
Derbyshire Caving Association