"Trapped in Thailand's Cave" by Raymond Greenlaw

Jenny P

Just bought a copy of this, published in 2018, for the British Caving Library as part of our plan to acquire all published material on the Thai Cave Rescue.

Unfortunately it must take the biscuit for the worst caving book I've ever read - it's absolutely dire!  It purports to be "... a work of fiction based on a true story ...", but it's not clear who it's aimed at since the language used is unsuitable for children yet the level of literacy leaves a lot to be desired. 

Our faithful Librarian gave up after the first 20 pages but I was determined to plough through and finish reading it - which I did with a sigh of relief.  What can one make of a book supposedly written by a ghost who drinks whiskey and plays cards but can be drowned if he goes underwater?

So, the Library has a copy to add to its collection of Thai Cave Rescue publications but I doubt anyone will ever bother to read it.

yrammy

Indeed. I have no problems with someone using imagination and trying to write something a little different. But the operative word here is trying  - followed by failing!

But it will remain in the library in the Thai Rescue archive - if anyone wants to judge it for themselves pop in and try to get beyond page 20!

On the other hand we also hold several good books about the rescue and will be watching for others the come out.

M