Author Topic: Keeping fit in the time of coronavirus  (Read 467 times)

Offline David Rose

• forum star
Keeping fit in the time of coronavirus
« on: March 23, 2020, 11:56:37 am »
With the mountains, caves and gyms shut for the foreseeable future, we're all going to need to find workouts we can do at home. I happen to have a pair of 5 kg weights. I've just done most of this lot, with some pressups and planks too. It got me breathing hard and sweating, anyway.

https://www.mh.co.za/workouts/10-ways-to-use-5kg-dumbbells-to-transform-your-physique/?fbclid=IwAR2Lhr6EbueENdK5O1L5wXQnlTs__aU6F2ML9zsv0kdkEWHERuEcOtxsfRA

Offline CatM

• Global Moderator
  • stalker
  • YUCPC, BPC
Re: Keeping fit in the time of coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 02:49:58 pm »
There's loads of free online workouts. Eg. Gymshark are doing a live session every hour on their Facebook page. And I believe Joe Wicks is doing a PE session every morning on YouTube; aimed at kids but I hear just as suitable for adults.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Offline Stuart Anderson

• forum hero
  • Yorkshire Subterranean Society - A.N.U.S.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 04:17:48 pm »
There's loads of free online workouts. Eg. Gymshark are doing a live session every hour on their Facebook page. And I believe Joe Wicks is doing a PE session every morning on YouTube; aimed at kids but I hear just as suitable for adults.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

The Joe Wicks one was great. Did it with the kids. I'm a middle aged cynic and thought I'd hate it. I've seen the kids do it before and he's what I term 'a bit keen' grumble grumble. Tell you what he's a cheery soul and a real antidote to what's happening.

Rock and Run are doing hangboards with 20% off too (apologies if this contravenes some rule - I do not work for them, just get the email).
I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 05:03:52 pm »
 An exercise bike or a bike on a turbo trainer helps me although at the moment sitting on top of a Leylandi operating a cutter seems pretty energetic at my age.

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • BPC, SUSS
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 05:15:51 pm »
fill your tacklebag with exped gear (or just random shit, compost or whatever) and do some of these https://www.menshealth.com/uk/workouts/g754150/bag-yourself-a-brand-new-physique/ whilst getting a friend to spray you with a hose.

Noticed all of these men's health links promise a brand new or transformed physique. Shall we expect you to be a chiseled Adonis upon coronavirus retreat David? Maybe we could do a charity BCA nude calendar  :lol:

Offline Stuart Anderson

• forum hero
  • Yorkshire Subterranean Society - A.N.U.S.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 05:22:51 pm »

Noticed all of these men's health links promise a brand new or transformed physique. Shall we expect you to be a chiseled Adonis upon coronavirus retreat David? Maybe we could do a charity BCA nude calendar  :lol:

I'll double any pledge if you don't!  :tease:
I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

Offline David Rose

• forum star
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 06:48:45 pm »
I think the chances of me acquiring a chiseled new physique are remote. My only ambition is to stay fit and strong enough to be able to resume activities such as caving when this crisis is over without having a heart attack.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 07:17:01 pm »
I remember the last time I was grounded, or perhaps I was just trying to exped train and the weather was crap, I filled a tackle back up and pushed around my living room floor whilst flat out crawling. I remember it being good exercise. Would wear the carpet out through.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 07:22:17 pm »
A novel way to get carpet burns I suppose ;D

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 07:23:25 pm »
How much space have you got under your floorboards?

You could have quite an adventure following the water and gas pipes round, and if you have a working Distox you could practise a bit of surveying.
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 08:20:03 pm »
Some good idea here for the competition currently running!!  ;D

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search