Author Topic: Hobbies Other Than Caving  (Read 4684 times)

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • junky
Re: Hobbies Other Than Caving
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 12:25:19 pm »
:)

Is that how you go riding while socially distancing from your horse? :lol:
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline ogofmole

• menacing presence
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2020, 01:06:25 pm »
Nice piccies
Are they from cadair idris

Yes these two were, but we get plenty through The Brecon Beacons as well. This  low Herc C130 was hugging the usk valley floor.

Offline cavemanmike

• forum star
  • ucet
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 03:13:10 pm »
Nice piccies
Are they from cadair idris

Yes these two were, but we get plenty through The Brecon Beacons as well. This  low Herc C130 was hugging the usk valley floor.

I was working in a house 20 years ago in Capel cerig when one of those flew over the house, I thought it was an earthquake.
Ran out of the house and you could see the pilot. In fact another 3 flew over, what a sight, they were going so slow I thought they were going to drop out of the skie.

Offline ogofmole

• menacing presence
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 03:49:54 pm »
I was working in a house 20 years ago in Capel cerig when one of those flew over the house, I thought it was an earthquake.
Ran out of the house and you could see the pilot. In fact another 3 flew over, what a sight, they were going so slow I thought they were going to drop out of the skie.

They always look slow, but in fact they are moving quite quick.

I wont post anymore shots, as this is a caving forum.

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 03:59:11 pm »
Maybe it is a caving forum - but those are some cracking good shots, and, however good our RAF pilots are, they can't get one of those things down Dowbergill.

Many years ago I was on holiday in South Wales - it was the time of the Falklands episode, and all of a sudden a Vulcan appeared out of nowhere and flew low overhead.  We thought the sky had fallen in for a moment!
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline ogofmole

• menacing presence
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 04:07:43 pm »
Sennybridge and the Epynt was very much well used as training for the Falklands War.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 05:15:21 pm »
I remember sitting cross-legged on top of Over Owler Tor near Hathersage one midweek morning, OMMing away in the sunshine, when one of those fighter jets snuck up on me from down in the valley, about 30m above the ground. It was way below me initially, but moving so fast I barely heard a thing until it zipped over my head, and it was so close it literally took my hat off. Then I heard it.

I'm not sure who was most shocked, as I remember seeing the pilot's face as it went over and I swear his mouth was hanging open ;)

Offline ogofmole

• menacing presence
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2020, 05:25:50 pm »
That would probably be a Tornado as those would fly very low and fast. Pity that they had to be retired a few years ago now.

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2020, 06:39:04 pm »
How's this for low flying?

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2020, 07:14:34 pm »
Love how this cycle route starts at a hospital, visits a school, then presumably abandons the children somewhere on route before ending up back at the Hospital! https://www.plotaroute.com/route/86408

I'll probably not do that tomorrow, but drop into Buxton ignoring J, hrock, Cooleycr and B & Pete K. on the way. just trying to step it up and do more hill climbs on Steve G's old bike, still going strong after 11 years in my ownership.
 (Triggers broom! new stem, wheels*4, inner tubes, tyres x10+, brakes+pads, gears, cranks, derailleurs x2 on back x1+ on front, pedals-SDS conv, brake and gear cables and hosing x4+, front reflector, shifters, grips, seat & tube, lights front and rear)

less bike maintenance and more bike firefighting, (and I still need to get a new front light for it!)

Offline blackshiver

• menacing presence
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2020, 07:59:11 pm »
How's this for low flying?

I was climbing on a mountain crag and there was a god awful racket and hanging on for grim death I looked over my shoulder and down. I was looking down into the cockpit of a banked over Jaguar with the navigator hunched over trying to cope with the G forces and huge contrails emerging from the wings. I swear I could see the instrument cluster.......difficult to forget that one.
I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel.

Offline cavemanmike

• forum star
  • ucet
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2020, 10:19:06 am »
Looked down at many a cockpit in my youth, can still see the images in my head clearly

Offline Duck ditch

• addict
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2020, 11:17:07 am »
Dawn or dusk around about now, if you can get out to a boggy scrubby area.  You may be lucky enough to hear and see a Snipe Drumming.  For me it’s one of the best sounds in the country.  Hurhurhurhurhur really fast.  Everybody can bird watch from your garden.  House martins have returned too.  A sure sign that the Earth and nature is still working.

Offline psychocrawler

• stalker
  • Qu'est ce que c'est?
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2020, 02:07:16 pm »
Pitlamp: Stuart’s photo is Loch Coruisk and the Cuillin of Skye from Sgurr na Stri.

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2020, 03:05:14 pm »
Dawn or dusk around about now, if you can get out to a boggy scrubby area.  You may be lucky enough to hear and see a Snipe Drumming.  For me it’s one of the best sounds in the country.  Hurhurhurhurhur really fast.  Everybody can bird watch from your garden.  House martins have returned too.  A sure sign that the Earth and nature is still working.
This is a frequent sound in Sutherland. For years I had no idea what the sound was and attempts to imitate when asking about it led to derision.  Since learning what the sound was I have heard it described on the radio. On one memorable occasion on Skye one flew around us and we were getting a dopplered drumming sound that also varied in volume. It is a very spooky and evocative sound indeed.

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2020, 03:13:38 pm »
Pitlamp: Stuart’s photo is Loch Coruisk and the Cuillin of Skye from Sgurr na Stri.

Now I look at again I can see Bhasteir Tooth. Just for the hell of it here is a close view of the tooth from the other side on an ascent in early January of Brac na Frithe (a few years ago).

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2020, 04:16:34 pm »

Thanks - it's a fine picture!

Offline yrammy

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2020, 04:35:11 pm »
Wildlife photography for me , oh and today...knitting.

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2020, 04:38:13 pm »
Nice pictures, yrammy; I particularly like the kingfisher one – how did you take it?

Online Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2020, 05:23:52 pm »
The cuckoo and the robin is a fabulous picture.

Offline yrammy

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2020, 05:24:48 pm »
Fulk it was taken at RSPB Old Moor near Barnsley from a public hide. That year was a bumper one for kingfishers and they could come to a perch close by daily.  I go often during normal times and was there on a day when the light was perfect.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2020, 08:16:32 pm »
Had one perch on the end of my fishing rod once.
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline T pot 2

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2020, 08:57:02 pm »
A perch on the end of your rod, happy days. 😉

Offline Robert Scott

• obsessive maniac
  • A Yorkshireman with a Scottish father
    • http://www.hughendon.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2020, 09:42:16 pm »

Thanks - it's a fine picture!
Coruisk is sometime translated as " "Cauldron of Waters"" but it is probably better referred to as the Pot of Water.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:10 pm »
Could just be corrie of water...

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search