Author Topic: Works caving clubs  (Read 599 times)

Offline Joe Duxbury

• menacing presence
Works caving clubs
« on: May 10, 2020, 04:09:24 pm »
Are there still any caving clubs that were originally formed by workers in particular industries?
British Nylon Spinners CC was one, and of course Hades is still going.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: Works caving clubs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 04:40:09 pm »
Mullards at Blackburn (long gone; used to make electrical / electronic components) used to have its own caving club I think.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:49:17 pm by Pitlamp »

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • junky
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 04:50:40 pm »
We've got a bit of a caving club going at my work, that's to say there are 8 of us who cave... We've not registered with the BCA yet, but are thinking about it (and how to blag a little funding out of the company  :) )
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Online Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 06:47:32 pm »
There was a Rolls Royce Caving Club set up by some of the folks who worked at the Derby Aeroengine site.  The club lasted for a few years but is now long defunct.  As far as I know they never published anything - at least there is nothing in the British Caving Library.

We do have a copy at BCL of what I think is the only publication from the British Nylon Spinners Caving Club.  We have searched but have only ever come across this one issue.  (It has a picture of Mel Davies on the front.)  It would be interesting to know if anyone else has ever seen any other issues of this journal.  Certainly SWCC don't have any other issues 'cos I asked them.

Offline grahams

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 08:13:36 pm »
There was a Rolls Royce Caving Club set up by some of the folks who worked at the Derby Aeroengine site.  The club lasted for a few years but is now long defunct.  As far as I know they never published anything - at least there is nothing in the British Caving Library.

And there was Roll Royce Speleological Group (Barnoldswick) now long gone. The club was active from the early 60s to the early 70s.
Sceptics wanted!

Offline Ceiriog Chris

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 09:09:56 pm »
Michelin caving club in Burnley springs to mind, I remember a friend of my dads telling me tales of what he'd been upto, I was fascinated as a boy hearing them

Offline Robert Scott

• obsessive maniac
  • A Yorkshireman with a Scottish father
    • http://www.hughendon.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 09:35:08 pm »
I was told that, although I'm prepared to be shot down in flames, that the lovely White Rose Pothole Club came about though Southern & Redfern Refridgeration Engineers of Woodhead Road, Listerhills, Bradford.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 09:54:29 pm »
The Grampian library lists a collection of papers covering the history of BNSCC from 1990.

Online Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 10:46:24 pm »
Thanks for that info. re. BNSCC.  I should have known to check with Goon.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 10:51:06 pm »
That's the documents were up to 1990, not starting from that date!

Also same journal as BCA: http://www.gsg.org.uk/node/586

Article by Mel Davies in SWCC newsletter 70 mentions articles in 2 of the company's newsletters, but only one listed in BCA. & apparently SWCC have "some":
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=13815.msg178262#msg178262

Club mentioned in John Gillett's book:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7SNKDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=British+nylon+spinners+Speleological&source=bl&ots=JwDYjVUlkj&sig=ACfU3U0Kj6zfuuxVfbTsJicC4POMVukEEA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_vLDho6rpAhXJPsAKHcrsCAcQ6AEwBHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=British%20nylon%20spinners%20Speleological&f=false
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:06:50 pm by mikem »

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 09:39:58 am »
Never been able to convince anyone else at work to come caving, so if we had one, it would be a very small club!
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline LarryFatcat

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 11:19:52 pm »
Vibram have a Mountaineering club that includes caving and regularly stay at TSG

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search