Author Topic: Covid-19 & caving activities - DCA Update  (Read 3455 times)

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Re: Covid-19 & caving activities - DCA Update
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2020, 04:36:57 pm »
In ye olden days there's a good chance you might have found a few in Old Tor Mine on an all-nighter though  :lol:

Offline NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • junky
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2020, 05:32:10 pm »
Oh, indeed. No doubt with a nice fire weakening the roof.
Permission? Wassat den?

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2020, 05:48:25 pm »
Thanks for the tips as to where in the Peak District is packed with motorcycles. I already avoid Matlock Bath like the plague, unless it's a Club ride.

Never understood the need to congregate. Best thing about the Peak is the number of really quiet roads in the middle of nowhere.
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline Mark Wright

• junky
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2020, 10:43:35 pm »
Thanks for the tips as to where in the Peak District is packed with motorcycles. I already avoid Matlock Bath like the plague, unless it's a Club ride.

Never understood the need to congregate. Best thing about the Peak is the number of really quiet roads in the middle of nowhere.

I went out to Castleton yesterday lunchtime and had a 2m spaced picnic with 'Born Again Biker' Tim Nixon at the top of the Pin  Quarry track. We sat beside the large blocks placed beside the track that are peppered with what look like BCA anchors?

I say 'Born Again', Tim had a Suziki 250 sports bike very briefly in the 80's and nearly killed himself a few times. He never did pass his test and i'm pretty sure it wasn't taxed, tested or insured. He didn't last very long as a 'Biker'.

He finally did his CBT last year and bought a Honda CRF125. He got his full licence soon after and bought my 10 year old BMW G650 XCountry. He's now a 62 year 'Born Again Biker'. What could possibly go wrong?. I bought myself a new CRF 250L.

There were still a few people around but not nearly as many as at the weekend. Midweek is definitely the best time to go for a ride.

Watch out for the cyclists though. One decided to set off in too low a gear and simply fell over right in the middle of the junction at the bottom of the Winnats with cars coming in all directions. He was OK, but It was comical to watch.

I came across a few vans that thought they owned the middle of some of the narrower back roads so keep an eye out on the bends.

The burger van was still in the Peak Hotel car park but I get the impression it might belong to the pub.

Mark 

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2020, 10:56:01 pm »
Those blocks with BCA anchors are Bob D's training facility and where I 'passed my test' ;)

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO, PDMHS, DCMC, YSS
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2020, 08:13:48 am »
The big one is back!

ACCESS UPDATE 5/7: Access to the inner sections of Peak-Speedwell is now being allowed via either Titan or JH, but there are boundaries. Cavers should not enter the Far Canal either via the (locked) gate or through Troubled Waters, and no access to the Devil's Staircase from Five Arches.

Pete K
On behalf of DCA

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2020, 08:32:59 am »
At the time of writing this post, the current list of closed sites are as follows. Please bear in mind this list may go out of date quickly, so check the DCA website before your trip.
Ashford Black Marble Mine
Bagshawe Cavern
Devonshire Mine
Holmebank Chert Mine
All sites on Peakshill Farm (Giant's/Snelslow)
Peak/Speedwell showcaves

DCA are asking the question of the remaining landowners and hope to come back with an update on some or all later this week.
Pete Knight
On behalf of the DCA

Offline owd git

• forum hero
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2020, 09:21:07 pm »
The land owner of the area including The Devonshire cavern has asked for a repair to the upper gate.
I was absolutely shocked to see closure notices discarded, thereafter embarrassed and ashamed that SRT  competent ( with the proviso of an absent back-up to the y hang at the top of the shaft) cavers No' 4. had been for a jolly!
a polite notice was left  for Mike and party.
Both lower and upper entrances will need Derbyshire key within a few days, DCA will notify access soon.
thanks all (bar Mike and party.)  :lol:
O.G.
Hen racer? 2000 world hen racing champion

Online AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2020, 08:22:45 am »
What's needed on the upper gate, Ric?
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2020, 08:31:16 am »
He's sorting the crumbled wall at the gate edge for DCA as I am swamped with other jobs.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2020, 10:39:32 am »
Spoke to the folk who were down there. Genuine mistake and no harm done. For the avoidance of doubt, the mine is still shut, but we’re hoping to sort that soon.
Pete K
DCA Projects Officer.

Offline DCA

• regular
    • the DCA
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2020, 05:02:06 pm »
UPDATE 13/7/2020

The following sites have reopened from their Covid-19 closures today:

Bagshawe Cavern
Devonshire Mine
Peakshill Farm (Giant's & Snelslow)

There are specific requirements from the Bagshawe owner relating to trips there.

BAGSHAWE STATEMENT:-
At the time of writing, parties must include a maximum of 6 (who are fit and well and not showing symptoms) and should maybe consider smaller groups.
Assume all surfaces to be potentially contaminated and either use gloves and refrain from touching eyes/nose/mouth, or if no gloves sanitise hands after any contact.
For cavers entering the system, you must adhere to current Covid-19 guidelines with regard to social distancing from other people at all times.
As for touching doors, parts of the cave, railings etc - use a common sense approach to stay safe.
Award holder groups may wish to check PICA for any other guidelines.

The remaining sites are known to DCA as being closed to cavers at this time:
Ashford Black Marble Mine (DCA control access and need to put in place a new key solution following the sale of the village shop).
Holmebank Chert Mine
Peak Cavern & Speedwell (Showcave sections)

Access to sites in the area can be checked on the DCA website: https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves. Check before your next visit as things do change.
Thanks for your patience with the closures. We all understand that some of us, including cave owners, are more nervous of the situation than others, but your help with following their wishes at this time will have kept cavers in a good light.
Safe caving, The DCA Team
Derbyshire Caving Association

Offline DCA

• regular
    • the DCA
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2020, 05:26:22 pm »
UPDATE 14/07/2020

Water Icicle Close Cavern (Warden Trips):
The main part of Water Icicle itself can be entered with no problem and no prior permission is required as long as people don't take vehicles up the track. However, warden led trips into the New Extensions are not possible at present. This because there is no air movement in this part of the system and hence there is an enhanced risk of virus transmission.
Derbyshire Caving Association

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search