Author Topic: When you know you need a talent upgrade  (Read 863 times)

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
When you know you need a talent upgrade
« on: August 22, 2020, 12:40:03 am »
I've the exact same Vox amp 6 mins 47sec in. Yep, I need to practice a lot more, OK really a lot more.  OK, I'm not Bon Jovi, or other people that know chords.  There again the CD player has been invented...  And yes the amp sounds nice.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Re: When you know you need a talent upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 02:52:01 pm »
If you like guitar solos, try this - Steve Vai duelling with Frank Zappa when he was in his band, early 80s. I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon two weeks later. Steve does his best to keep up and definitely shows promise, but it's still a tutorial really. The length of the solo is determined by the 'egg timer' cigarette in the headstock, if you can make it to the end. Vai's impertinence wins him 'the eyebrows'. He returned to play with the Dweezil Zappa band not that long ago where they did a 3-hour show at The Royal Albert Hall - incredible.

There are about a million more by FZ out there in every style imaginable, but all are as good as this, or better.

And for a total contrast, from the same tour, using an experimental 'mini-guitar' someone lent him - sadly two minutes of the video track were accidentally lost and replaced with some other stuff, but stick it out - it returns. Personally I think he's in a class of his own:

Offline Ceiriog Chris

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 09:17:50 pm »
I enjoyed watching this on U tube a few years ago, maybe someone else posted the same video on there but it used to be amusingly called Stevies spanking !

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 11:00:14 pm »
About a large groupie named Laurel who liked to beat up guys with a heavy hairbrush, and left Vai with a very red arse after a show one night apparently. FZ was just rubbing the wound after that ;)

Offline tamarmole

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 02:19:07 pm »
Self indulgent twiddly diddlying.  For a proper guitar solo this is where its at:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 02:33:16 pm »
I like that one as well ;)

Offline tamarmole

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 03:00:43 pm »
I like that one as well ;)

What with that and early Floyd you are evidently a man of taste and discernment  :beer2:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 03:51:22 pm »
I don't know about that! I do like long solos as long as they're actually trying to go somewhere with it rather than just boiling noodles. But I do like a grungy simplistic mess sometimes too. Like this hilariously over-the-top nonsense from Ultimate Spinach, 1968. 'My troubled mind...':

Also from 1968. from the more 'direct' brand of psychedelia - Public Nuisance. Though this could just as easily be from 1992:

Offline Slug

• forum star
  • B.E.C.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 05:13:53 pm »
 Personally I prefer this  :)

Pint of Butcombe Please Roger.

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 08:47:07 pm »
That Public Nuisance track does sound like a lot of the stuff that came out of Seattle in the Grunge era - shows how retro it was really, particularly if you cop an earful of the MC5, the Stooges or Blue Cheer....
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline dibbler

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 09:10:52 am »
I'm a big fan of Buckethead.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search