Author Topic: Northern Caving and Lockdown 2.0  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
Re: Northern Caving and Lockdown 2.0
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2020, 09:05:17 pm »
Adele, fancy it? Fairy holes not Barnard castle that is.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 01:35:08 am »
Fairy Hole? Could be an option. I'm in Wales and we're coming out of lockdown on Monday. Does that mean I can go to Fairy Holes and come back home, or must I stay in England for the month? I know if I can be arsed I could dig this out of some gov.uk website or other. But even then, I'm sure that Michael Gove would contradict the advice when he's next on telly.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2020, 08:18:36 am »
Depends if you tie it in with a work trip (much nicer caves in Wales anyway...)

Offline CNCC

• player
    • CNCC
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2020, 09:40:55 pm »
A further statement from the CNCC (https://cncc.org.uk/covid-19/index.php):

Lockdown II is coming to an end and after 2nd December, England will return to the three-tier system of Coronavirus restrictions. The Government have now published details on what tier each area will initially be in.

Northern England will be entirely Tier 2-3, with the major caving areas of North Yorkshire and Cumbria falling into the more liberal Tier 2, and Lancashire into stricter Tier 3. This may change as tiers are due for review every two weeks. Within both of these tiers, the ‘rule of six’ applies to meetings in outdoor public spaces. This means that across our entire region, caving in groups of up to six people will once again be permissible, which will no doubt come as welcome news for those keen to get out and about with their friends.

Although travelling between differently tiered areas seems to be discouraged, the language of the guidance stops short of totally prohibiting this, leaving this decision to personal judgement of the risks involved.

Furthermore, there is no reason that club huts in Tier 2 areas cannot reopen to visitors from same households/support bubbles for overnight stays.

Caving promotes a healthy, active lifestyle. We therefore encourage people to take advantage of these new freedoms and to get back to enjoying responsible caving if they are comfortable doing so.

Please use the online booking system for caves on Ingleborough, Leck and Casterton Fells to avoid encountering other groups. Use common sense in other areas and check the CNCC website for up to date information. Cave well within your capabilities, remembering that your fitness may not be what it was pre-lockdown, and consider winter weather conditions and the suitability of your trip. A cave rescue incident would be complicated and would expose our cave rescue volunteers to elevated risk from the virus.

We wish you all a happy return to caving, in what, we hope, is the beginning of the end for the pandemic.
Council of Northern Caving Clubs; Working together for northern caving since 1963

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2020, 10:31:08 pm »
There are more restricted suggestions on which outdoor spaces tier 3 should visit, compared to tier 2.

Online Fjell

• stalker
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2020, 08:41:35 am »
There are more restricted suggestions on which outdoor spaces tier 3 should visit, compared to tier 2.

On the scale of things, millions of people from tier 3 areas going Xmas shopping in tier 2 areas is probably going to be more of a thing. Just blend in on your way to some wind-swept hill.

Bradford, Leeds and Hull are in tier 3 whilst York, Skipton and Harrogate are in tier 2. It will be carnage. At least the Harry Potter shops will be open, which will be relief to many. And Bettys, thank god.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 08:46:30 am »
Indeed, but we will be more obvious to local communities, so need to consider where you go.

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2020, 09:10:26 am »
Even during this lockdown there have been lots of folk out on the hills and a few cavers, hardly noticeable, among them.  You've also got to remember that local communities include cavers.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search