Lnrc-questions-

tomferry

So we yesterday visited lnrc are trip aim was to reach sump 2 , their was 2 party members myself &  a mate I have only done Swildons , gb , bridge cave prior to this trip and he has only Done Swildons upper series .

We arrived At the site entered the cave at 7.30 and set a 2.30 call out due to both are phones showing black rain clouds/heavy rain for 2pm are aim was to be out for 12 . Then pop in bridge to show my mate quickly  .

The trip went extremely well we went in down tributary passage around mud hall , back up to sump 1 , it required  a second look to see the air gap in the first duck being a low experience team I thought this was a sump until I got the survey out for the first time  :LOL: had a lovely trip down the canal into the bouncing boulders hall pot1 & 2 , skipped the wet loop on the way for now we wanted to tackle this head on on the exit,  we carried on down the main water course completed both the other ducks once we figured out these are not sumps and we wouldn?t drown ! And reached sump 2 , after a 5 minute break we started are exit  we took as much of a different route as possible , we attacked the wet loop head on and tried many crawls in the water courses under the large boulders, at junction chamber we followed this to the canal by pass and this lead us the standard outbye route . We manage to get out absolutely knackered at 12.15  ;)

A few small questions on my trip .
The cable that is in the bouncing bolder hall all the way to sump 2 what is this for ?

The cave itself in full flood does this block it completely of from the mud hall upwards or the sand chamber upwards .

With people knowing are rough skill level what would you recommend next for us for another wet cave we loved the water in this one ?Non srt ?Wales again or mendips is fine .

I think last of all if I haven?t forgotten any has anyone got a picture of the river in a heavy flood we was curious as what it looks like not being local .

wormster

AFAIK: The cable links through to Bridge Cave and is used in rescue situations for diver support.

Paul Marvin

Tomferry said:
So we yesterday visited lnrc are trip aim was to reach sump 2 , their was 2 party members myself &  a mate I have only done Swildons , gb , bridge cave prior to this trip and he has only Done Swildons upper series .

We arrived At the site entered the cave at 7.30 and set a 2.30 call out due to both are phones showing black rain clouds/heavy rain for 2pm are aim was to be out for 12 . Then pop in bridge to show my mate quickly  .

The trip went extremely well we went in down tributary passage around mud hall , back up to sump 1 , it required  a second look to see the air gap in the first duck being a low experience team I thought this was a sump until I got the survey out for the first time  :LOL: had a lovely trip down the canal into the bouncing boulders hall pot1 & 2 , skipped the wet loop on the way for now we wanted to tackle this head on on the exit,  we carried on down the main water course completed both the other ducks once we figured out these are not sumps and we wouldn?t drown ! And reached sump 2 , after a 5 minute break we started are exit  we took as much of a different route as possible , we attacked the wet loop head on and tried many crawls in the water courses under the large boulders, at junction chamber we followed this to the canal by pass and this lead us the standard outbye route . We manage to get out absolutely knackered at 12.15  ;)

The cable that is in the bouncing bolder hall all the way to sump 2 what is this for ?

The cave itself in full flood does this block it completely of from the mud hall upwards or the sand chamber upwards .

With people knowing are rough skill level what would you recommend next for us for another wet cave we loved the water in this one ?Non srt ?Wales again or mendips is fine .

I think last of all if I haven?t forgotten any has anyone got a picture of the river in a heavy flood we was curious as what it looks like not being local .

Said you would enjoy it  (y) when in flood the hole disappears and it doesn't have to flood that much 

tomferry

wormster said:
AFAIK: The cable links through to Bridge Cave and is used in rescue situations for diver support.

I saw this cable at the rescue point in lnrc it starts in bridge a bit before the sump , is their a rescue point beyond sump 2 in lnrc then? 

tomferry

Paul Marvin said:
Tomferry said:

Said you would enjoy it  (y) when in flood the hole disappears and it doesn't have to flood that much

Yes really loved it it?s not a easy trip getting around the hole place fast ! , when you stand at the bridge Paul outside looking up river to lnrc the water disappears after it into what I guess is bridge cave , I am assuming this is the water sauce for bridge cave is this part not dive able I see it?s completely un marked on the survey . If you don?t understand where I mean I shall try to explain again

Paul Marvin

Tomferry said:
Paul Marvin said:
Tomferry said:

Yes really loved it it?s not a easy trip getting around the hole place fast ! , when you stand at the bridge Paul outside looking up river to lnrc the water disappears after it into what I guess is bridge cave , I am assuming this is the water sauce for bridge cave is this part not dive able I see it?s completely un marked on the survey . If you don?t understand where I mean I shall try to explain again

No Tom you cant dive that ( unless you are extremely small  :LOL:)

tomferry

Thanks Paul if you don?t ask these things you don?t no. We all started some where I didn?t want to just assume thought it?s better to check .

Scrappycaver

If in flood go in via top entrance. You can still use canal bypass and get into genesis series etc

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paul Marvin

Tomferry said:
Thanks Paul if you don?t ask these things you don?t no. We all started some where I didn?t want to just assume thought it?s better to check .

True I ask plenty still after decades .  :LOL:

PeteHall

Tomferry said:
I reckon you'd enjoy Stoke Lane if you've not been before, or go and see a bit more of Swildon's.

tomferry

PeteHall said:
Tomferry said:
I reckon you'd enjoy Stoke Lane if you've not been before, or go and see a bit more of Swildon's.

Thanks Pete . Do we have any South Wales members who control the access for ofd2 ?

wormster

I remember when a scout group went into Brige Cave, one of the little buggas got separated from the group, freedived the dump into LNRC, found nobody freedived back and met the rest of the group, finished the trip none worse off!!!

shortscotsman

Tomferry said:
PeteHall said:
Tomferry said:

Thanks Pete . Do we have any South Wales members who control the access for ofd2 ?

Access arrangements at :https://www.swcc.org.uk/joomla-swcc/caving/local-caves-access/2-uncategorised/79-access-to-ofd

Most visitors are with a club with an annual permit

shortscotsman

wormster said:

The cable is used for comms which could be for diver support but is also to give a communication link to any trapped group

tim.rose2

Some other easier caves you might like to research further / explore that I've enjoyed...

South Wales:
Porth Ogof
Ogof y Ci
Pant Mawr (15 m entrance pitch)
Llygad Llwchwr

Mendip:
Fairy / Hilliers through trip
GB
Rods / Bath's through trip

Paul Marvin

Tomferry said:
Thanks for the information and the suggestions.  (y)

Tom if you look through our videos on YT you will find some to wet your appetite as to what Tim suggested, LL1 and LL2 will be nice and quite Porth Yr Ogof can be very busy especially at weekends with adventure groups and the like although well worth the trip and is a great back up. You acvn also apply to the swcc and ask for a warden to take you in Dan yr  Ogof , cloud chamber has a bitch of a crawl but well worth the effort  that is a real fun fun trip. Then there is also boulder cave with is also a crawling challenge right at the side of the busy main road  when we di that I was total pooped :D

tomferry

Thank-you Paul I shall add to my notes  (y) lnrc to reach the sump that was a tad further than I thought the divers must be strong chaps to carry the kit that far then start their dive !

Paul Marvin

Tomferry said:
Thank-you Paul I shall add to my notes  (y) lnrc to reach the sump that was a tad further than I thought the divers must be strong chaps to carry the kit that far then start their dive !

I think you have to be strong but above all determined, some carries we have done in the past would break a donkey's back  :cry: