Tower

whitelackington

(y)

Tower's vote on drift mine plan
Tower Colliery
Tower has been looking for ways to keep its men working
Miners at Wales' last deep mine are to vote on setting up a joint venture with a nearby drift mine.

Tower Colliery, in the Cynon Valley, is due to close within a year but the plans before a meeting on Wednesday could save around 100 jobs.

Last week it emerged negotiations with a German firm which wants to set up a gasification plant had stalled.

Tower Colliery closed in 1994 but was bought and re-opened by its own miners the following year. It has 375 miners.

Last autumn it was announced coal seams being worked by Tower's workforce will be exhausted in two to three years.

At the time, Tower chairman Tyrone O'Sullivan said it was possible that mining in south Wales could continue elsewhere.

Changing market

Aberpergwm drift mine in the Neath Valley still has workable reserves and with no shortage in demand for coal, more workers will be needed in the coming years.

The workforce at Tower are to vote on whether to throw in their lot with Aberpergwm in a joint venture.

If they decide to, it could mean up to 100 miners will have jobs to go to when Tower closes.