Author Topic: Caving Audio Archives  (Read 38654 times)

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
Re: Caving Audio Archives
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 09:11:29 pm »
Somewhere I have a cassette recording of Mike Boon that was the basis for the interview published in a 1993 edition of The Canadian Caver.

Sounds good. Would there be a copyright issue? If not, could you send it to the BCRA library? They will forward it onto to Sid.

The Librarian
British Caving Library
The Studio
Glutton Bridge
Buxton
SK17 0EN

Offline ian mckenzie

• obsessive maniac
  • Alberta Speleological Society (Canada)
    • Karst Almighty
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2010, 05:52:07 am »
No copyright issue, but I'd like to check with Mike first before I send it off.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2010, 08:30:11 am »
We need some photographs of Bob Leakey to illustrate his interviews. These are by far the most popular recordings on the database,  and it seems a shame not to have pictures of the great man.

If anybody has any photographs they could let us use, please PM me.

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2010, 12:32:14 pm »
I have a rather nice photo of Bob Leakey chatting to Graham Balcombe taken at the CDG 50th if that's any good. Also I have edited part of a 90 minute chat with the late Willie Stanton and it is ready to be put on line but I cannot find an email address to send it. I took the tape put it into a sound processing prog and made an MP3 file which is about 7 meg in size. Who would like it for the audio archive. - length about 9 minutes max. There will be more when I have time to do the work.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 01:12:16 pm »
Thanks, mdroc - PM sent.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 01:32:47 pm »
There have been a number of recordings added to the Audio Archives in the last couple of days. Of particular note is a very poignant one donated by Peter Glanvill of Willie Stanton recorded last November where Willie talks about the exploration of the Black Hole Series in Swildon's Hole some 60 years ago, and also a superb account by Jim Newton of an expedition to the Himalayas in 1970 which travelled across land by a double-decker bus.

http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/mostrecent.php

Enjoy.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2010, 10:03:50 am »
There have been a number of recordings added to the Audio Archives in the last couple of days. Of particular note is a very poignant one donated by Peter Glanvill of Willie Stanton recorded last November where Willie talks about the exploration of the Black Hole Series in Swildon's Hole some 60 years ago

Has anyone got a picture of Willie Stanton we can use for the audio archives? It really doesn't matter whether it's a recent one or one taken in his more active days, although it would be nice to know the year that it was taken.

Offline damian

• forum hero
  • Hades CC, YSS
    • Hades Caving Club
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 10:45:25 am »
Has anyone got a picture of Willie Stanton we can use for the audio archives?

I assume you know about the pics in the current Descent.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2010, 01:09:01 pm »
I assume you know about the pics in the current Descent.

Yes - thank you. It was that which reminded me. If necessary I will approach Chris directly (he has helped out before).

Offline hydrophobia

• Steve Woods
  • menacing presence
  • WRPC
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2010, 04:09:28 pm »
Hi there. Here's one which may be missing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/excessbaggage/index_20041009.shtml

Offline Gerbil007

• stalker
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2010, 04:16:17 pm »
I'm currently enduring a 4 month period of government imposed exile in one of the Middle East's sandy ashtrays and have found this archive invaluable for keeping the fire burning. A truly excellent resource.  :clap2:
Winner winner, chicken dinner!!

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:47 am »
Two recordings have been added to the BCA Audio Archives recently - both being interviews with John Frankland, the CRO doctor. A fine photograph  has been added to of Willie Stanton's  interview page - courtesy of the Wessex.

An RSS feed link has also been added to the Audio Archives. This allows the last ten recordings to be automatically bookmarked in a browser, so you can easily see if there is anything new.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2010, 08:34:06 am »
Has anyone got some decent pictures of John Buxton we can use? One from the 1950s and a more recent one would be good.

Offline Duncan Price

• forum star
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2010, 10:42:41 am »
PM sent.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2010, 10:56:11 am »

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2010, 08:26:40 am »
Has anyone a picture or two of Fish Jeanmaire from when he was in his prime? The one on the Audio Archives web site was taken last year and is currently shared by three recordings. It would be nice to have a couple from the time he was actively caving.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2010, 05:45:44 pm »
Sid has added six interviews with Bob Leakey, recorded in September 2010 as part of a project associated with Eli Simpson. As usual, Bob Leakey is good value - one story tells how he was involved in the rescue of the same man from a peak in the Himalayas, and from Grange Rigg Pot!

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2010, 12:17:11 pm »
Sid has added a further five interviews, this time with Harry Long. They are well worth a listen. Sid obviously didn't emigrate to Thailand to retire!

http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/mostrecent.php

Offline Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2010, 09:22:24 pm »
Sid obviously didn't emigrate to Thailand to retire!

Good, he doesn't have enough time to retire.  ;D
I'm a very busy person

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2011, 08:39:32 pm »
Two new recordings have been added to the Audio Archives following the film made by Basher Baines in tribute to Sid Perou when Sid moved to Thailand late last year. The first is Sid's description of how he got into filming, and the other is an interview with Jack Pickup who describes the trials and tribulations of working with Sid. They can be most easily found from http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/mostrecent.php

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2011, 04:16:52 pm »
Want to know what Sid Perou was doing hiding in a Derbyshire shakehole with a bag full of crows? Listen to Dave Gill telling the story at http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/selected.php?id=168

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »
Anyone got any pictures of Dave Gill they can make available for the Audio Archives?

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2011, 02:02:06 pm »
Also does anyone have any pictures of Bob Leakey that could be uploaded on to the website to go with the descriptions or put on here?  It'd be useful for me as I've put the audio files in iTunes as audiobooks, and am using the pictures as album artwork etc.

Some 28 months after receiving this request, I have done something about it! The time interval is due to the fact that I find setting up the MP3 metatags from software a little traumatic.

The Audio Archive MP3 files now have an embedded 'album cover' in the ID3 tags which is the picture associated with the recording. This means that if you download the recordings into your own MP3 library, you'll get a picture to help you identify the recording.  This isn't infallible, as owing to a lack of photographs, one third of the recordings share pictures with others. More photographs are in particular required of Dave Gill, Dave Brook,  Dick Glover, Eric Hensler, Geoff Yeadon, and Jim Newton.

If you encounter any problems, please let me know.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2011, 11:09:04 am »
As many of you will know, Clive Gardener has for many years been working on 'Searching for the Secret River' – a film and associated book project, 'Exploring The Caves of Llangattock Mountain' – documenting subterranean exploration beneath the mountain.

As part of this exercise he recorded a number of  interviews with people who have made significant contributions to the explorations, and he has generously made some of these available on the Audio Archives. The quality of the interviews and the quality of the recordings are superb, and well worth a listen.

The following are now available:

Brian Price: The discovery and naming of Agen Allwedd
Mel Davies: The first excavation of Upper Trident Passage in Agen Allwedd
Paul Hartwright: The discovery of Summertime in Agen Allwedd
Clive Westlake: The creation of the Grand Circle in Agen Allwedd
John Parker: Discovery of the Hall of the Mountain Kings, Ogof Craig a Ffynnon
Bill Gascoine: Determining the hydrology of the limestones of South Wales
Ian Rolland: Explorations beyond St. David's Sump in Daren Cilau
Steve Pedrazzoli: Unravelling the Mysteries of Llangattock Mountain
Rob Parker: The discovery and naming of the Seventh Hour Sump in Daren Cilau

We have also added a recording of Dr. John Wilcock talking about dowsing.

We hope that you enjoy them.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2012, 10:25:21 am »
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to abseil down a big shaft on a short rope, finding that there was no knot on the end, and not being able to hold on?

Well, you can now find out! It happened to Andrea in Stream Passage Pot, and she was fortunate enough to survive the experience. A new recording has been added to the archive (with Andrea's permission), in which Jack Pickup reads out Andrea's written account of the event. It's a riveting account.

http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/selected.php?id=186