Author Topic: Caving Audio Archives  (Read 38924 times)

Offline Duncan Price

• forum star
Re: Caving Audio Archives
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 09:15:27 am »

It currently consists of thirty odd recordings about memorable caving incidents of the past, recalled by various notables including Graham Balcombe, Bob Leakey, Ken Pearce and Martyn Farr. None last more than 15 minutes.

More recordings are steadily being added from a stockpile, but many more are required!

Hey Miss Langcliffe, how about adding some recordings of famous old timers like the great  John Gardiner before its too late....  8)

On the subject of Mr Gardiner, Clive Gardener has audio recordings of interviews with various people involved in the exploration of the Llangattock caves.  It would be great if these could be put on the audio archive...

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 06:30:29 pm »
Clive Gardener has audio recordings of interviews with various people involved in the exploration of the Llangattock caves.  It would be great if these could be put on the audio archive...

Sounds good. If someone who is in contact with Clive could discuss it with him, that would be useful. If he's happy for them to go onto the archives, then he should send them to Sid.

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 11:57:34 pm »
This is superb. For 'podcasting' purposes right click the 'Click here to listen to the recording on an external player' and save the mp3. Absolute gold dust...

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 04:20:07 pm »
Just an update - there are now some 65 recordings in the Audio Archives. The latest additions include some tributes to Oliver Lloyd (courtesy of UBSS) - the one by Mike Savage is very witty and manages to encapsulate many of Oliver's wonderful idiosyncrasies. For northern cavers there are also some by Jack Myers, of 'Underground Adventure' fame, talking about caving in the post-war years. Enjoy!

http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/audio.shtml

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 05:23:22 pm »
Just an update - there are now some 65 recordings in the Audio Archives. The latest additions include some tributes to Oliver Lloyd (courtesy of UBSS) - the one by Mike Savage is very witty and manages to encapsulate many of Oliver's wonderful idiosyncrasies. For northern cavers there are also some by Jack Myers, of 'Underground Adventure' fame, talking about caving in the post-war years. Enjoy!

http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/audio.shtml

I suspect that should be "Bob" Savage, not "Mike".
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 05:38:09 pm »

Can you confirm that, Graham? Sid has "Professor Mike Savage".

Personally, I have no idea.

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
    • UBSS
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 06:46:25 pm »

Can you confirm that, Graham? Sid has "Professor Mike Savage".

Personally, I have no idea.

Professor Bob Savage was UBSS president when Lloyd died and was certainly at the event where those tapes were made. I have never heard of a Mike Savage, Professor or otherwise. Trust me on this.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 07:16:39 pm »
Trust me on this.

I do! I do! - Thanks.

Offline Robert Scott

• obsessive maniac
  • A Yorkshireman with a Scottish father
    • http://www.hughendon.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 09:45:50 pm »

It currently consists of thirty odd recordings about memorable caving incidents of the past, recalled by various notables including Graham Balcombe, Bob Leakey, Ken Pearce and Martyn Farr. None last more than 15 minutes.

More recordings are steadily being added from a stockpile, but many more are required!

Hey Miss Langcliffe, how about adding some recordings of famous old timers like the great  John Gardiner before its too late....  8)

On the subject of Mr Gardiner, Clive Gardener has audio recordings of interviews with various people involved in the exploration of the Llangattock caves.  It would be great if these could be put on the audio archive...
Not on the subject of Mr Gardener. Without being disparaging of those with a Walian bent, there may be a Mr Gardener but there is also a Mr GARDNER who is very famous, but very modest about his achievements, in God's Own County. Perhaps his stories should be captured.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 06:48:20 pm »
Sid has added three recordings of Dave Gill, recorded at Hidden Earth - well worth listening to:

http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/mostrecent.php

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
Re: Caving Audio Archives (Luke Devenish)
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 10:12:25 am »
Anybody out there willing to be interviewed re the late Luke Devenish, pioneer cave diver and caver and open water diver? i have some personal memories and an anecdote or two but wondered if anybody from his era would be prepared to be interviewed. He was based on the Mendips.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:35:49 am by cap 'n chris »

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 10:48:41 am »
You could ask Willie Stanton, perhaps.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2009, 03:29:38 pm »
Sid has added further recordings to the library following Hidden Earth. Three are interviews with Fish Jeanmaire, and five with John Lovett, a YRC member since the late 1930s who was vey much involved with the 1951 rescue of John Frankland from Penyghent Pot.

Offline Robert Scott

• obsessive maniac
  • A Yorkshireman with a Scottish father
    • http://www.hughendon.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 09:18:46 pm »
I liked the stuff from Geoff Workman. Nice to hear it recorded. It's dated 24th April so the day before his birthday weekend celebration at Stump Cross. A really good do.

But still nothing from John Gardner, one of the doyens of caving in the Yorkshire Dales.  :shrug:

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 04:29:36 pm »

Thinking of bribing a few notable derbyshire/eldon characters with beer and recording some stuff.

Just wondering about technology for recording. I subtly tried the Dictaphone on my mobile the other day, its not a cheap mobile either and the quality was god awful.

Must be some reasonable cheap kit around these days,  just wondered if anyone has any experience.

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
    • UBSS
Re: Caving Audio Archives (Luke Devenish)
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 04:35:40 pm »
Anybody out there willing to be interviewed re the late Luke Devenish, pioneer cave diver and caver and open water diver? i have some personal memories and an anecdote or two but wondered if anybody from his era would be prepared to be interviewed. He was based on the Mendips.

Pete, surely the obvious candidate would be Jim Hanwell?

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2009, 11:56:21 am »
Thinking of bribing a few notable derbyshire/eldon characters with beer and recording some stuff.

Just wondering about technology for recording. I subtly tried the Dictaphone on my mobile the other day, its not a cheap mobile either and the quality was god awful.

Must be some reasonable cheap kit around these days,  just wondered if anyone has any experience.
May I respectfully draw your attention to the last two paragraphs on http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/contributing.shtml ?

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2009, 02:34:17 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 05:52:31 pm »
Sid has added a number of new recordings to the Caving Audio Archives in the past couple of days, some of which indicate that the propensity for Wessex Cave Club members to talk with funny accents and sing badly dates back at least 47 years.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 03:31:11 pm »
:thumbsup:

Did you contact Sid? I understand that the BCRA/BCA (I'm not sure which) is willing to loan a tape recorder for such as you were planning.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2009, 06:34:38 pm »
Not yet - Been a bit distracted by other things. I'll get round to it one day.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2009, 10:28:32 pm »
Alan Gray of the Axbridge Caving Group has made available some remarkable recordings of Balch speaking at the opening of the Axbridge Caving and Archaeological Society museum in 1952, six years before his death.

As one would expect of 1952 tape recordings and an old man in his eighties, the recordings are not that easy to listen to, but Alan has also made a transcript available. When you select the recording, right click on the transcript link to open the PDF file in another window and reading it at the same time as listening will make life a lot easier.

I think that these recordings are very exciting - a link back to the earliest days of British caving.

See http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/mostrecent.php
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:45:55 pm by langcliffe »

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 07:49:18 pm »
Sid has added a couple of recordings from one of the S.W.C.C. Balinka Pit expeditions. Very graphic, reality tapes made on the spot by people dangling in a hand-made cage attached to a hand-made winch over a 200 metre drop.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2010, 12:14:55 pm »
Sid has added a number of new recordings to the Audio Archives. Some are by Jack Pickup, who should need no introduction, and some are by Frank Royston, one of the original CRO members and member of the Gritstone Club, who tells some interesting stories of stalactites suddenly appearing in White Scar Cave, of early rescues, and of Eli Simpson.

There are now 114 recordings lasting over fifteen hours available in the archives. Unfortunately, however, they are becoming a little Dales dominated, mainly because Sid is the main driving force and he's based in the Dales. Surely there are potential worthwhile  contributions from other areas? Without wanting to massage egos by naming names, I can certainly think of certain individuals from Mendip, Derbyshire, Wales and Scotland who should be recorded for posterity. Recording equipment is, apparently, available for borrowing.

See http://caving-library.org.uk/audio/audio.shtml for more information.

Offline ian mckenzie

• obsessive maniac
  • Alberta Speleological Society (Canada)
    • Karst Almighty
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2010, 08:02:39 pm »
Somewhere I have a cassette recording of Mike Boon that was the basis for the interview published in a 1993 edition of The Canadian Caver.