Observations on CNCC meeting

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I have penned some notes on the CNCC meeting which I attended today shedding a little more light on some of the questions which have been raised on this forum.

The chairman made it very clear that CNCC did not wish to engage with UKCaving and would take no notice of discussions on the forum.  If anyone wanted to make a point then they should attend the meetings, (which is how I came to be there).  In my opinion, this is a lost opportunity to engage with a wider audience and explain the workings of the Council, hence the reason for my post.

Questions were asked as to who the CNCC actually represents.  As has been pointed out on this forum their constitution suggests that they ?represent the general interests of member clubs and northern cavers?.  However the CNCC will only issue permits to full or associate members clubs.  They will not issue permits to clubs who are not members of BCA, local or foreign, and they will not issue permits to individuals even if they are direct members or club members of BCA.  There was a reluctance to open up access to individuals because it was felt that this would impact on club membership.  I was left with the impression that the CNCC only wished to represent the interests of member clubs and not the individuals that form that club or other cavers who were independent of clubs.

There was no discussion on the issues surrounding the proposed new permits for professional caving on Leck and Casterton fells although this had been a hot topic of debate in recent months.

The European Speleological Congress is coming to the Yorkshire Dales in 2016 and a great opportunity to showcase Dales caving.  The CNCC is waiting to hear details from BCA.  Unfortunately, relations between the two organisations are at a low ebb with certain officers of CNCC refusing to attend meetings or talk to BCA.  Some in the meeting urged CNCC to draw a line under their differences but judging by the provocative language used this may be difficult.  The CPC is making their winch meet available but the question was posed as to how the 1000+ delegates were going to access permitted caves.  The CNCC secretary stated that he had sorted this out and that there would be ?no problems?.  Despite some questioning he would not elaborate on how this would work.  Others in the room suggested that the process of registering at the congress would give delegates access to the caves.  It was mentioned that CHECC had been denied similar access to permitted caves for its event when it was held in the Dales.  It was confirmed that access to the permitted caves for CHECC could only be through their member clubs.  It was not clear what kind of exception was being made for the European Congress.

An interesting discussion took place over, what was termed, ?digging permits? for Leck Fell.  Although the existence of these permits was not known to some of the full member clubs in the room apparently they have been used by select groups for five years.  There is no mention of them on the CNCC web site and they were controlled unofficially by an individual but with the knowledge of the CNCC officers.  Accusations that these permits were issued ?under the counter? between those in the know were strongly denied but figures produced at the meeting showed that over 400 had been issued  which accounted for some 50% of the total permits.  Other diggers had started asking awkward questions about fairness and transparency which could not be answered and the council proposed ending the practice.

A serious point was raised about the CNCC committee and the legitimacy of their voting.  The constitution states that, ?A working committee shall be elected every year at the general meeting.  The committee shall consist of fourteen members, each of whom will represent a different full member club?.  The officers admitted that no committee elections had taken place for at least five years, and despite advance notification, they could not say who the fourteen members of the committee were.  The votes that I observed were made on a show of hands of those people present with no noticeable checks at all.  It was also noted that the list of full member clubs, which had been asked to be read into the minutes, had not been updated since 2004. 

I took up the invitation, as issued on this forum, to attend CNCC meetings.  It opened my eyes to the work that goes on behind the scenes of northern caving.  I was welcomed to the meeting (I think) and given the opportunity to ask questions.  However, I did discover that the CNCC will robustly defend their positions if you start asking awkward questions.  During the day I experienced being repeatedly poked in the chest by one club rep whilst being told how good CNCC are, and one officer startled me somewhat by banging his fists on the table, jumping up, whilst shouting.  Even so, I may attend future meetings and would suggest more cavers do the same.

These are my own observations; official minutes of the meeting will be published by CNCC.

Goydenman

Fascinating insights and you have raised my interest which I guess is the point. Particularly sad about the poor relationship between CNCC and BCA  :(

damian

Goydenman said:
Particularly sad about the poor relationship between CNCC and BCA  :(
Speaking as someone who is at the heart of the "relationship", I think all involved would agree that things are improving and actually nowhere near as difficult as people seem to think. I would certainly describe it as a "working relationship" at present. In fact I suspect that over the last week or so, I have been in at least daily contact with the CNCC.

Relating to 2016 we have now nearly managed to agree a venue which has been the key stumbling block. Once this is done, everything else can follow. As it happens we - that is the 2016 Working Party - had a very productive meeting yesterday, about which I will be reporting to CNCC later today.

Bottlebank

Nice one Tim, possibly the fullest, most easily readable and certainly the most prompt report from our "representative body" I've seen.

I experienced being repeatedly poked in the chest by one club rep whilst being told how good CNCC are

Brave man. He's entitled to his point of view I suppose, but I'm not sure how many of us share it. I wish I'd gone now. I heard late on Friday night you were going but by that time I'd imbibed far too much to consider trying to make it from Clapham to Hellifield or wherever in time! Maybe next time!

Now then, these digging permits, not just a rumour then! Can anyone clarify how we get hold of them? When you say they proposed ending the practice did they actually agree to do so? Or is there an under, under the counter system we can get stuck into? Or are they really only available to a chosen few?

The minutes should make interesting reading, it can't be easy taking notes and
banging his fists on the table, jumping up, whilst shouting

The CNCC constitution can found here http://cncc.org.uk/about/constitution.php in case anyone is left wondering what it actually says.

Of the five aims and objectives only one mentions member clubs and northern cavers, the other four seem to clearly suggest a responsibility to represent cavers in general.

Alex

Hmm not issuing digging permits anymore? Well bye bye any new discoveries then. Its going to take a lot longer if you can only dig with a conventional permit that you can only get a few months in advance. What's the maximum normal permits a club can have to a cave? Won't all the extra permits issuing mean there is less permits to go around for the rest of us, or will they issue more "normal" permits?

graham

Alex said:
Hmm not issuing digging permits anymore? Well bye bye any new discoveries then. Its going to take a lot longer if you can only dig with a conventional permit that you can only get a few months in advance. What's the maximum normal permits a club can have to a cave? Won't all the extra permits issuing mean there is less permits to go around for the rest of us, or will they issue more "normal" permits?
According to the OP,  diggers were amongst those who were complaining about this.

Ian Adams

Thank you Badlad for taking the time and trouble of going to the meeting AND reporting back ... it is appreciated.

:)

Ian

Jon

A very balanced report, Badlad. I'd heard via another attendee that it was all a bit of an eye opener in terms of the bickering that went on.

TheBitterEnd

Badlad said:
It was mentioned that CHECC had been denied similar access to permitted caves for its event when it was held in the Dales.  It was confirmed that access to the permitted caves for CHECC could only be through their member clubs.

Perhaps a bit off topic* but just a thought, may be CHECC could form a club with a constitution that makes CHECC attendees members. The CHECC club could then become a CNCC member and then it could apply for permits.

*but then again perhaps not...

kay

Alex said:

Access Officer for CNCC says:
It will not make any difference to clubs because club trips have always had
priority over diggers,  a club can have as many permits as it likes subject
to availability, and permits are available quickly - you don't need to apply
a few months in advance usually an email to the meets secretary will secure
a permit provided you are a BCA member club (BCA insurance requirement) and
there is availability. The wording that states three months notice etc. is a
relic of the paper and postage days and CNCC will update the wording,
however if you want a specific Saturday for your trip then as much notice as
possible has a greater chance of securing that date.  The digging permit was
a system where cavers who were interested in digging on Leck Fell could ask
CNCC for the permit these were only available when there was no club permit
booked. Clubs that wish to dig on Leck Fell can still have underground
exploration digs but all permits will now be issued by the meets secretary
using the same system as club requests. It should be noted that digging on
surface does require additional permission from Natural England/landowner
because of the SSSI status, however that rarely means that surface digs are
not allowed.

Simon Wilson

The problem with the "digging permit" arrangement is that it was done in secret and only a select group were party to it. The majority of digging done on Leck during the period that it operated was done by people who were not party to it. Diggers keep a very low profile and the last people they want to know about what they do are the CNCC.

Jon

I'm not so sure about the "secret" description!  I bet it's never stopped anyone going caving midweek on Leck Fell.

Roger W

exsumper said:
WI'll we soon be able to dig on Leck fell,  mid week if we pay a commercial outfit?

No problem at all, I should think, if you say you're looking for shale gas...

exsumper

Badlad said:
one officer startled me somewhat by banging his fists on the table, jumping up, whilst shouting.  .

Unfortunately some of these jumped up little Napoleon's  do get a bit tetchy if you point out That they're not wearing any drawers!

Simon Wilson

This is a question for Kay (Kay Easton, CNCC minutes secretary) and the CNCC Access Officer.

At the last CNCC committee meeting when the Access Officer was asked to explain what a ?digging permit? was, the meeting was told that the digging permit system had been operating for ?about five years?. There is no mention in any of the minutes of this radical change in the permit system. Neither has there been any communication whatsoever about it to the member clubs before January 10th this year, the day before the meeting. There is a cryptic allusion to it in the minutes of the 2012 AGM which mentions ?permits issued to the digging fraternity? (page 9).

http://www.cncc.org.uk/documents/CNCCAGMMinutes3rdMarch2012.pdf

In these minutes there are figures for the number of permits issued over the previous nine years and also figures in the minutes of the 2013 AGM. The figures show that the number of permits issued rose greatly over the period with two significant steps, one in 2007 and another from 2011 onwards. The figures do not appear to reflect the dating of the change in the system taking place five years ago.

My question is: Precisely when did the change in the permit system occur?

Simon Wilson, Earby Pothole Club CNCC rep.