• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

Llygad Llwchwr: 19th Aug 06

cap n chris

Club Trip to this lovely little cave in the Black Mountains. Attendees: Zoe W, Rachel P, Megan H, Judi D, Neil R, Andy S, Mark W, Robin G and Me.

We arrived in the pouring rain - obviously it was summer at long last. The eventful drive involved getting lost and having breakfast at ASDA (not in that order). The banter was jovial and face-paced, laced with humour.

Unpleasant weather greeted the gang and we changed in the cold rain on the bleak hillside

After kitting up and sorting ourselves out and taking a (failed) group photo we set off across the moors and headed for the picturesque woods among which the large surface depressions gave a hint at the cave below us. We had a quick demonstration of hand waving and geological processes courtesy Mr. Andy S....

Andy uses the wondrous power of his hands to explain to a rapt audience how caves are formed by beetles gnawing at the bedrock

The fenced off cave approach is quickly reached and no sooner do we point out the warning sign expostulating the imminent death-ness of caving (it is a silly and hazardous pursuit) and Andy has a nasty accident involving the warning sign.... (we mostly laugh at his predicament).

Nasty accident involving warning sign. Someone should do something about these trip hazards in the woods!

Ahem.

Once all NINE of us arrive at the cave entrance - a small hole situated in the cliff face - the usual club tradition of deputising all the newbies as group leaders was done; this involves a crash course in survey interpretation and the supportive words of "Don't just stand there,... get on with it!...."; the old lags then simply wait behind while the newer members starburst everywhere.

Despite holding the survey the right way around everyone's eyes glazed over and there was much dribbling and tutting and sighing...

Andy adjusts someone's missing brain while an intrepid caver uses human origami to effectively force an entry to the cavern

While the others rush on ahead to get lost, the tail-enders finally gain entry to the cave and await the return of the blustering cave kittens.

There is a nice variety of passage morphology (do keep up at the back!) but nothing too strenuous or challenging - this cave is a crowd-pleaser and despite some 160 years of caving heritage still retains many fine formations out of harm's way and a goodly array of enjoyable obstacles.

Judi niftily deals with a smooth traverse

Robin gains reassurance by close proximity to something he relates to

An array of new members decide to spend time pursuing the incorrect way on so I make a dash for freedom and quickly arrive at water chamber 3 (I believe) and splash around whooping'n'a-hollerin' all on my own, `cos I likes that sort of thing, innit.

WHOOP! HOLLER! SPLASH! WOO-HOO!

Neil finds me!

... but the others don't!... so we head back to find them. Having discovered some of the girls I lead them off towards the chamber where there's a bit of a pitch down to the water and rig a rope (`cos I haven't got the ladder - Neil's got it) and abseil down into the water. They wisely decide not to follow and instead bugger off. So I'm on my own. Nevermind, I say to myself, let's have a look around - there's lots to see and do and I spend an enjoyable time furtling around. No-one else joins me and everything goes quiet for a long time. Hmm. Can I get out? Can I buggery.

Eventually I decide to try and climb out. But give up. But have another go. But give up again. But no-one's coming so I feel perhaps I should have yet another go. It's too dodgy so I give up again.

Hmm. I see a possible way of climbing up the far wall with a bridging stance and this works! Wow! Of course everyone then arrives, including the ladder, so we rig that and the whole gang descend from whence I've just managed to heroically climb out so I ab back down again (all that wasted effort!) and we go off for a nice cold swim in deep water and all get soaked and freezing. Mind you it was fun.

Return up the pitch without ado and then make haste to try and locate the furthest water chamber. This goes a bit wrong when I inadvertently route-find a rock bridge over deep water in an echoing rift where everyone follows and then has to back up again. Finally, I figure the correct way on down a narrow rift which opens into the big chamber whereupon Neil and Andy show off their climbing prowess by doing some impressive climbing manoeuvres around the walls of the chamber, Neil going so far as to actually climb all the way up and out of the hanging rift. Remarkable stuff.

We then separate again for a while, getting lost (OK, I admit it, it was my fault) but quite a few people seem convinced that I know what I'm doing and where I'm going so they follow me anyway.

Mark follows

Robin follows too

Eventually we regroup. Well, I say "eventually" but it probably wasn't that long. Having rediscovered each other we then make a break for the surface/daylight and find to our surprise that we've been underground for over three and a half hours.

My camera fell victim to moisture on the return journey so was unable to capture the joyous rapture and beaming smiles that we all exhibited on finding the weather hadn't improved one iota.

Return, reclothe and drive to the Copper Beech for tea and nibbles and to observe foreigners before refuelling and driving very quickly back to terra cognita.

So, there you go, gang. That's my version of events. What's yours?.... where did you go, what did you find, what fun and games did you have? Who fell over? Who fell in? Who? Wh? W?

H

hoehlenforscher

How wierd is that! Having never done this 'local ' cave before I finally managed to hitch up with a pal and descended upon it this morning. Said friend only lives 2 miles away so knows the cave intimately so he lets me go first. It takes all of 3 feet to realise I am complete unfit and I faff and sweat my way into the hole, cautiously avoiding the big spiders the frequent the entrance. All goes weel, we visit almost all the cave and swim and paddle around the river chambers. Had a real nightmare climb up from the 2nd river chamber where the overhang is due to wearing kneepads over my oversuit causing me to be 10 stone heavier than normal with all the water I am carrying. Got out with no real embarisment and ego in tact. In all abot 1.5 hours in cave. A true Gem of a system and one hell of an impressive streamway (even if it was very low water). And yes it rained on us too!

BTW cap'n chris did one of your party leave a pipe (smoking type) at the entrance? If he did I am sorry to say it is still there!

cap n chris

No, the pipe does not belong to anyone in our team; it was there when we arrived yesterday. We left it, presuming it belongs to a cave diver or similar enjoyer of extreme pastimes!

graham

cap 'n chris said:
No, the pipe does not belong to anyone in our team; it was there when we arrived yesterday. We left it, presuming it belongs to a cave diver or similar enjoyer of extreme pastimes!
Nice one. (y)

anfieldman

Cap'n,

What a fantastic trip that was! I could not do a reply until now because Meg, Barry & Trish Hulatt took me on a short 14 mile walk. I would like to do St Cuthberts on Wednesday but the walk might have buggered my legs right up for that! What variety in that trip with some nice pretties, amazing water flows that were b****y freezing!
Thanks for the entertainment on the way there and back. Many thanks also to Robin Gray for making me laugh till I almost wet myself. Thanks to Neil for a lesson in expert climbing.
Hope to see all of you again soon.
(y)

anfieldman

cap 'n chris said:
anfieldman said:
Many thanks also to Robin Gray for making me laugh till I almost wet myself.

Was it something specific he said or do you just find him hilarious, generally?
I generally find Robin great entertainment. He doesn't read this does he? The main reason was the answer to questions that I have had since I was about twelve, namely what the tunes were of the Rugby songs that I read in a book. Robin seems to know them all and gladly sang them! What a surprise. I don't think that you heard any of it because you were discussing the length of your rope with Andy Sparrow.I think that everyone sparked off each other in Andy's 'meatwagon' as Rachel and I thought it was called. Zoe was also also great fun. What did she want to do for guaranteed membership again?

cap n chris

anfieldman said:
What did she want to do for guaranteed membership again?

It was discussed at great length (fnaar) at the committee meeting last night and if the offer hadn't been made her membership application wouldn't have passed with such a narrow unanimous decision that it did.

B

Bristol knitter

Thanks for all the banter and fun on Saturday. I had a ball!

I shall keep quiet on how I really got voted in! Thanks though Mr S..!

anfieldman

Hello Zoe,

Glad to see you are in the club now, ahem.
I would not advise wearing the knitted bra on your next trip though. Thanks for a good laugh last week.See you soon.