Author Topic: Best Cave For Zombie Apocalypse?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline thehungrytroglobite

• regular
  • UNCC - SRT Union - BAACA
Re: Best Cave For Zombie Apocalypse?
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2021, 10:19:32 pm »
Suppose you could always eat said Zombies as sustenance, then you wouldn't need to go back to the surface to stock up on supplies.

There's a question: If a zombie bites me, I turn into one, but what happens if I bite a zombie?

Not sure how long the zombie apocalypse will last, as long as Covid-19 perhaps? Or until we can all get vaccinated with the Astrazombieca or Pfizombier vaccines.
full of whimsical ideas

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 10:53:28 pm »
For something local to me, I'd go for Middleton stone mine - if the zombies follow you, just lure them to the big pit and make sure they fell in, or arm yourself and lie in wait at the main fault - give me a chainsaw and call me Derek...
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 11:07:38 pm »
The 'walk-in' entrance passage to Winnats Head is just visible to the left of the orange Peli case, looking toward the exit, before we shoved them across to block it from the zombies. And how, you may ask, did we manage to drag in 2m-high Peli cases? I know the secret entrance ;)

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 11:08:21 pm »
Probably not the best idea to go around biting zombies as a general habit.  Probably taste like chicken.
Tins of beans and tuna seem to last for ever.
However, the most important question is what happens when the beer runs out in the refuge / bunker / pub / cave?  Now that's proper scary.

Online JoshW

• forum star
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 11:59:03 pm »
Suppose you could always eat said Zombies as sustenance, then you wouldn't need to go back to the surface to stock up on supplies. 

On the basis that zombies are just reanimated corpses, they're ultimately just moving rotting flesh, I'd avoid eating it.

There's a question: If a zombie bites me, I turn into one, but what happens if I bite a zombie?

Is that you as a zombie biting a zombie or as a human?

I would hazard a guess that as dead things they possibly don't feel pain, and so might not even notice you biting a chunk out of them.

A zombie biting a zombie I guess would be the same. Isn't the usual theory that it's some sort of virus that transmits by biting, causing reanimation a short time after death. If you're already dead then no reanimation could occur.

I will refer back to my original point that zombies are basically big lumps of rotting flesh, and I'd advise to stay away.
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 01:58:39 am »
I suppose the underlying question is has thehungrytroglobite actually been bitten by a zombie and is now doing a bit of market research.

• regular
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 01:17:38 pm »
I was thinking of biting a zombie as a human. If reanimation occurs as a result of virus transmission, then I guess biting a zombie might also turn me into one so I better avoid that.

The running out of alcohol question is a serious dilemma. I guess we'll just have to start storing spirits or brewing equipment in caves now so that we're prepared in advance.
full of whimsical ideas

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 04:31:09 pm »
I was thinking of biting a zombie as a human. If reanimation occurs as a result of virus transmission, then I guess biting a zombie might also turn me into one so I better avoid that.

I presume that the virus transmission only occurs if it can go straight into your blood stream. Using Shaun of the dead as an example, he regularly touches the zombies but doesn't 'turn'.
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 08:07:21 pm »
I don't know a lot about Zombies - can they swim?

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2021, 10:44:01 pm »
I don't know a lot about Zombies - can they swim?

Chris.

I considered this, and considered sumps etc, but realised they can’t drown, so theoretically it’s irrelevant if they can swim or not

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 08:02:34 am »
I considered this, and considered sumps etc, but realised they can’t drown, so theoretically it’s irrelevant if they can swim or not

I was thinking of some of the underground lakes in Rhosydd.

So the Zombies would sink to the bottom, walk along the bottom, and then climb up the other side. Are they good climbers?

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline wellyjen

• addict
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 08:53:32 am »
Presumably the zombieism causing pathogen can be destroyed by high temperatures, so cooking should do the trick, as well as making eating zombies a bit tastier. Once you've dispatched a zombie, cut off any obvious mould, or fungus, then roast till the juices run clear.
How you are going to do this in a cave I don't know.
Can't sleep. Clowns will eat me.
CCPC

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2021, 11:06:48 am »
Once you've dispatched a zombie, cut off any obvious mould, or fungus, then roast till the juices run clear.

Can't wait to see that in the Masterchef inventions test.  I suppose you could also make zombie goujons as they'd take less cooking.

Zombies would sink to the bottom, walk along the bottom

I think the issue could be the sheer volume of them.  They'd start to pile up at the obstacle (e.g. river bank) and create a sort of undead organic ramp and those towards the rear will then be able to amble up it.

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2021, 11:10:50 am »
Once you've dispatched a zombie, cut off any obvious mould, or fungus, then roast till the juices run clear.

Can't wait to see that in the Masterchef inventions test.  I suppose you could also make zombie goujons as they'd take less cooking.

Or Zombie Jerky and just smoke it dry

Zombies would sink to the bottom, walk along the bottom

I think the issue could be the sheer volume of them.  They'd start to pile up at the obstacle (e.g. river bank) and create a sort of undead organic ramp and those towards the rear will then be able to amble up it.

I was more imagining them just flopping around on the surface, and by sheer volume, eventually some would work their way to the far side.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2021, 11:26:30 am »
I always thought of that big chamber in New Rift pot as a fantastic place to re-build society as it's so large, near a water source. I imagined a little tin covered huts built on top of each other for housing in the basically naturally climate controlled chamber, uv lighting in the lower tunnels to grow food, powered by flowing water in the stream ways and the one coming down rift.

A giant spiralling stair case leading ascends to this passage, where a newly blasted walking passage grants access to the surface, with a trench dug underneath for the aforementioned stream.

However, I had not considered this in the vain of a zombie apocalypse. It's possible they could find their way into Low Duke cavern, though that could easily be blocked. One would also need to build a better defence in the New Rift entrance, you simply can't block it as you would need to exit to forage for food and other necessities. Perhaps that hole in the entrance could be filled with spikes at the bottom to "catch" the zombies, humans pass using traverse lines. I don't think we would have to worry about the Ireby Fell connection as no creature living or dead would ever attempt it.

The above would need a lot of time to pre-plan. If it was a sudden occurrence and I was on my own or a few others, I would probably retreat to the local stone mines (Scout Mine). Full of steal bars in all the entrances it is well defended. Only one open gate that could be re-locked. Plenty of space and rubbish that could be made into something useful. It's also near enough to human civilisation for supply runs, but well hidden. Only issue is, a lot of it's bloody cold in winter, with ice forming on the inside, though there are a few warm bits. The second problem is the tenancy for the place to collapse! Still if I had to leave home in a hurry then that would be where I would head if the zombies come knocking.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:36:42 am by Alex »
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2021, 04:20:16 pm »
In non-pandemic times, there's usually a zombie incursion most Mondays in Bakewell...

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2021, 11:13:56 pm »
Zombie Jerky
As well as the protein element a more balanced diet would be needed for longer term post apocalyptic survival.  Some carbs and fibre would be required, as well as things containing antioxidants and to aid digestion.  So some fava beans and a nice chianti would seem appropriate.

• regular
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2021, 11:38:43 pm »
Zombie Jerky
As well as the protein element a more balanced diet would be needed for longer term post apocalyptic survival.  Some carbs and fibre would be required, as well as things containing antioxidants and to aid digestion.  So some fava beans and a nice chianti would seem appropriate.

Bold of ZombieCake to advocate for non zombie-related foods
full of whimsical ideas

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2021, 01:02:11 am »
Vegetarian option could be a bit tricky.

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 07:10:00 pm »
Haynes (the car workshop manual people) have produced a workshop manual guide for dealing with a zombie apocalypse.  Has a few interesting tips and pointers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombie-Survival-Manual-surviving-Apocalypse/dp/0857334735/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1E5JHOUL3G73X&dchild=1&keywords=haynes+zombie+survival+manual&qid=1617732419&sprefix=haynes+zombie%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-1

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2021, 11:13:07 pm »
Vegetarian option could be a bit tricky.

Well they've had plenty of opportunity to change their ways, so tough. Let them eat cake. ZombieCake.

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2021, 10:17:29 am »
Let them eat cake. ZombieCake

Oh dear, I'd better go and hide then.  Is there a cave that's human proof ....  :lol:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2021, 11:28:32 am »
Don't worry, they'll be far too tired by the time they get there and will just sit down and play guitars and sing the blues instead ;)

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2021, 11:40:39 am »
Don't worry, they'll be far too tired by the time they get there and will just sit down and play guitars and sing the blues instead ;)

What, are we expecting an incursion of the Grateful Dead? :lol:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal