Snatcher pot entrance - loose and floor collapsing

Alex

On a trip today, just after the entrance there is that annoying boulder that gets in your way with a spike on top. Unfortunately that is no more, having collapsed under my mate who stood on it. Trouble is this took out several more rocks and now the whole slope is on the move, though its now far easier to negotiate. With a stream running down the entrance I am not sure how long it will take to stabilise, several more large rocks half way up are ready to move and may already have done so thanks to the water. worse case scenario all this could block the way on. It's not that dangerous as there is no hanging death (yet), but it is a steep slope so beware.

Also the lid has gone missing/fallen in it would be nice for the farmer if we could replace it, don't want to run into one of this sheep on that slope!

CNCC

Hi Alex thanks for posting this and glad you're OK.

We'll get a warning added to the CNCC website this evening and discuss it at the Committee meeting this weekend to see if anyone is interested in arranging a replacement lid and perhaps undertaking some stabilisation works (assuming this is even possible).

I'm sure we can make some funding available for this if needed.

Alex

The lid should be an easy job, there is still a scaff bar across the entrance to rest it on, so I don't think it needs to be elaborate. The entrance itself is relatively stable.

Stabilising the slope, well the only way I can think that can be done is either wait until dry weather/divert the stream and then pour concrete down or some sort of bonding agent between the larger rocks, not certain what to do about all the smaller stuff below that it's all resting on, it's all a bit of a mess, probably needs digging and then shoring there, or let nature sort it out, as I assume a lot of that smaller stuff will be washed away, leaving ???. The stream-way was brown all the way though the trip due to the sediment being washed away between the stones, it may be radically different for the next party to go down.