• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Welsh Cave Anagrams

mudman

wl

We (Brynmawr Caving Club) had one of our regular Zoom meetings tonight and I was down for the quiz.
One of the rounds I came up with was an anagrams round. Sixteen Welsh cave names in anagram form. I won't say what the highest score was but I thought it might be fun to post it here and see if anyone can get the full sixteen:

[list type=decimal]
[*]angle waddle
[*]fog noddy nun off
[*]fecal goop
[*]Ade vaccinator
[*]agony croon faffing
[*]angry food
[*]Gwen safely
[*]add brown grimly
[*]Edna forgone
[*]equally pantry roll
[*]cow fly go nog
[*]ethel torso
[*]hello me
[*]heir tentacle trivalve
[*]badger vice
[/list]

I'll post answers when I remember to look in and see how everyone is doing.

PeteHall

Well I've spotted 3 of them so far, but I think I'll have to start writing them down to get any more!

I  like the way that 14 and 15 are next to each other in the quiz, is that a subtle clue or a coincidence?

mudman

Well current best score so far is 9. Sorry maxb727, your winning score from last night has been trumped (bonus anagram not included).  ;)

Inferus

Ahh, I like a bit of morning brain work.. think I've got 10 so far. At the moment I've not worked out 4, 7, 8, 12, 13.. :-\

PeteHall

Up to 11 and I think I'm all out of ideas for the rest. Missing 4, 8, 10, 12  :confused:

edit: make that 12, I've just spotted 12  :)

edit edit: I've now got 8 as well. Just 4 and 10 to go...

PeteHall

Spotted 10, when I thought about the "qu" which can't be many things  ;)

No. 4 is really bugging me though.

It's clearly " XXXXXXXXX CAVE "

which leaves:
                    D    T
                R            A
              O             
                I            A
                    C    N

but I can't make anything sensible out of that...  :-\

edit: additional "T" removed. Thanks Trogger

PeteHall

Got it!  ;)

I will confess to receiving a few subtle tips, which in the interest of fairness I'll share below:

I've put it in very small text, for those who don't want to see a tip yet, but if you press quote, you'll see it big enough to read  ;)

mudman said:
I guess it won't hurt for a bit of a clue...

I suppose 4 and 8 might be a bit BCC related, 4 is currently closed and 8 is somewhere I remember many hours hauling tub-loads of mud from.
10 is a bit of a collector's piece around here but is a well-known cave.
We did have some argument as to whether or not 12 is in Wales but it is listed in the CC registry.

From maxb, relating to no.4: think of something mining related

mudman

Well done Pete.
No prizes unfortunately, but if we ever bump into each other in a pub (won't be a Welsh one  :cry: ), I'll buy you a beer.  :beer:

I won't put the answers up yet. If anyone wants to know how they're doing you can drop me a PM. Otherwise I'll put the answers up at the weekend.

JoshW

Think I've got 5/15 (possible a sixth but for number 12 I ended up with a spare s  o_O)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
mudman said:
Well done Pete.
No prizes unfortunately, but if we ever bump into each other in a pub (won't be a Welsh one  :cry: ), I'll buy you a beer.  :beer:

I won't put the answers up yet. If anyone wants to know how they're doing you can drop me a PM. Otherwise I'll put the answers up at the weekend.

I'll buy you a pint mudman for posting this quiz  ;) :beer:

mudman

PeteHall said:
JoshW said:
Think I've got 5/15 (possible a sixth but for number 12 I ended up with a spare s  o_O)

I think you'll find it is plural, so the "s" is used  :)

The usual name is singular but I seem to have used a plural form that Cambrian Cave Register speed on its search page.
It was on purpose, honest.  :ang: