E-mail host

fishes 1

After many years I'm going to be losing my work e-mail address shortly and I'm looking for something that is reliable and free.

I've set up a gmail account but it doesn't seem very user friendly and lots of my messages seem to send up going directly into peoples spam folder if they ever see them. I've tried signing up to GMX who my partner has used for many years but all I get is a selection of error messages that even GMX can't explain.

Can anyone please recommend a reliable service that is free and will talk nicely with Outlook. I'm about 20 years years out of date with this kind of thing.

Thanks

Fishes

ChrisJC

Do the people that you get your internet connection through offer an e-mail service? (that's assuming you have an internet connection)

Chris.

aricooperdavis

ISP email providers are notoriously unreliable. I'd stick with the experts: Google or Microsoft (outlook/hotmail). Or these days you can get email only hosting for ?10 per year, so you could even go for a custom domain that way.

royfellows

I second aricooperdavis on this, having said that i cannot make a recommendation. I am with easily and they were great for years. Then went down the drain, probably due entirely to new security requirements. They have recently been taken over and the new people are at least trying.

Issues i have are with domain pointing, this means that some domains that I have registered rather than point to a 'webspace' on their server, point to a specific page in a subfolder.
I am having a lot of Internet problems lately including dire warnings that posting on a public website is not private. See, I learn every day
Was having this on UKC then it suddenly stopped but takes ages to load.
Something going on out there.

pwhole

I think the problem is that 'reliable and 'free' don't usually sit well in the same sentence when it comes to this sort of thing. I pay for a dedicated webspace and email, and it's around ?9 a month for unlimited everything, and I'm skint, but it works 99.99% of the time, so I figure it's worth it. Paying for .com domains is getting quite pricey at a small scale, and I have to pay for a .co.uk I never really use, but hey-ho - it keeps the trolls off my name. And all the threats from Chinese losers that they were going to register everything else except the .com and .co.uk (to try and get me to sell those two) came to nothing, as they never do. All mouth and no trousers.

langcliffe

pwhole said:
I think the problem is that 'reliable and 'free' don't usually sit well in the same sentence when it comes to this sort of thing. I pay for a dedicated webspace and email, and it's around ?9 a month for unlimited everything, and I'm skint, but it works 99.99% of the time, so I figure it's worth it.

I pay ?35 a year for web hosting and domain name for braemoor.co.uk, limited to 2GB of disk space. I had to upgrade it recently as I ran out of disk space (the first time in over 20 years), but before then it was ?18 per year.  This is for unlimited email addresses, which is useful as I have a unique email address for all sensitive web sites (e.g. Paypal). I have had no problems in over two decades.

fishes 1

Hi Langcliffe

That's really useful to know. Its much cheaper than I expected and definitely worth me looking at. Would you mind sharing details of your provider via personal message.

Thanks

Julie