Author Topic: Large Rescue Call out to OFD  (Read 8869 times)

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • DCA, TSG, DCRO, PDMHS, DCMC, YSS
    • Peak Instruction
Re: Large Rescue Call out to OFD
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2021, 10:51:19 am »
From a conversation with someone in BCRC, it seems likely that around 1/3 of the entire UK Cave Rescue volunteer community were at this rescue in OFD.
It was amazing to be involved and seamlessly work alongside colleagues from so many other teams. I'm looking forward to seeing some of you again at the BCRC Rescue Conference in June 2022.

Offline Ed

• stalker
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2021, 04:17:26 pm »
and I suspect at least another 1/3 of us got to work on Monday to see if could arrange time of if needed

Excellent community involvemetn

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2021, 05:48:20 pm »
Being right on the doorstep of the SWCC HQ must have made a huge difference in being able to organise things for the rescuers.  Quite apart from having a rescue store immediately to hand, being able to organise food and hot drinks for people having to stand about in the cold waiting to go down or having just come out must have helped morale no end.  SWCC obviously pulled out all the stops to assist in any way they could and deserve thanks from all involved.

Just imagine having a rescue of this magnitude somewhere up on the moors in Yorkshire, miles from the nearest road - it doesn't bear thinking about.

Online mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2021, 06:53:11 pm »
That occurred to me as well. Also a team could get to the casualty relatively rapidly. The call out from the far end of Southern Passage took many hours and it was fortunate the casualty wasn't more seriously injured. Perhaps for cave systems like this a cave link radio at remote locations with a long lasting battery would be a useful thing to have in rescue dumps.. Now we have the technology I don't see why it should not be used in this way for emergencies. Perhaps sponsors could be found.

Offline David Rose

• junky
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2021, 07:18:28 pm »
Brilliant idea.

Offline Slug

• forum star
  • B.E.C.
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2021, 08:50:30 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59226313

Just seen this article on the BBC Nnews website, quite well written.
Pint of Butcombe Please Roger.

Offline Bob Mehew

• forum hero
  • breaking knots was fun
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2021, 11:38:02 am »

Offline Rhys

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • SWCC, RFDCC
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2021, 09:14:29 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b3zm5k My wife Mandie (using her maiden/professional name) speaking about being a cave rescue doctor on her favourite podcast - Newscast. She's on from 32:40 and follows some bloke called Tony Blair at COP26.

Online mrodoc

• forum hero
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2021, 11:34:27 am »
I am suddenly feeling old. I remember caving with Mandy when you came out to Meghalaya on honeymoon (we decorated the tent with balloons).  Regarding my suggestion of emergency phones - it would need some thought. Firstly it would predicate on somebody on the surface making contact rather than the other way round so would have to be linked to a call out system (unless you link to a red flashing light). Secondly they couldn't be put just anywhere but with a bit of thought the most remote locations could be targeted. The casualty in this rescue was fortunate in one way that he had his accident relatively near the surface so a call out could be made rapidly and first aid brought in much faster than in most rescues. With the SSP rescue in Aggy 40 years ago a party member had to cover over a mile of cave then make a substantial walk just to get near a phone (and of course there were no mobiles then). Despite being one of the biggest rescues the UK had seen it seems to have gone under the radar a bit.

Offline Jopo

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2021, 06:16:55 pm »
Despite being one of the biggest rescues the UK had seen it seems to have gone under the radar a bit.

I don't think social media had been invented then Pete.

Jopo

Online mrodoc

• forum hero
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2021, 07:03:41 pm »
That was the subtext Jopo :)

Offline Jopo

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2021, 02:50:21 pm »
Nevertheless it started a process that culminated in the development of the stretcher and spinal used on Georges rescue. When the dust has settled we will see if any more tweaks can be made.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2021, 09:45:42 pm »
Maxine's morning interview from 2hrs 14mins & 30secs:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09yzcsf

& Six o'clock news, from 23mins:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011cz1

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal