Sump logger

Rob

I would like to measure the height of a sump which varies by about 7m vertical through a relatively straight but small passage of length 30-40m. I would like to record the data for up to about a month at a time, and in intervals of about 1 hour (750 readings max).

Has anybody got any bright ideas, methods you have used in the past for this sort of thing, or just knowledge of what doesn't work?!?

Cheers.

SamT

I heard Jonathon Simms mentioning that he was using a data logger in the main sump in alpazat, He might be worth contacting. Also, Im sure John Beck might have some experience in this. Actually - just thought - John Gunn is Mr Hydrology of the peak district, again Im sure he'll know a thing or two.

M

Mole

Never having done it,the only thing I can think of is a pressure transducer in a dry area connected to a tube which goes to the lowest point of the sump.The output from the transducer is connected to the data logger.

Divide the maximum expected head of water in feet by 2 to get the maximum pressure rating needed for the transducer you need,e.g.,30 ft head = approx 15 psi.

Rhys

Rob said:
I would like to measure the height of a sump which varies by about 7m vertical through a relatively straight but small passage of length 30-40m. I would like to record the data for up to about a month at a time, and in intervals of about 1 hour (750 readings max).

Has anybody got any bright ideas, methods you have used in the past for this sort of thing, or just knowledge of what doesn't work?!?

Cheers.

Some work has been done on logging water depths by the geeks in CREG (Cave Radio and Electronics Group). It might be worth talking to them or getting hold of the journal below. See the article entitled "Flood Pulse Logging with PICs"

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~arb/creg/journals/j37.html

Rhys