Peak district post potholing pints

SamT

Wheres your favorite

My vote goes for 'The Wanted Inn' at sparrowpit at the moment. Caver friendly, good beer, cheap food, away from the hoards in castleton.

:D

mudmonkey

Depends where you are - Wanted Inn is great for Rushup Edge (only 5 mins from P7!), where's best for Bradwell Moor?

paul

Iain Barker said:
Mine would be The Quiet Woman at Earl Sterdale; excellent pints of "cooking" and good crack. :D

Whatever you do - don't ask for a "flat" pint there (i.e. the beer is served from the pump with the little gizmo that forths up the beer removed).

Some Orpheus cavers did that recently and got the same response as if they had asked the barmaid to take her teeth out without anasthetic... :shock:

We tend to go to the Royal Oak in Hurdlow as its the nearest decent pub to the Orpheus coattage on Parsley Hay.

Mark

The Red Lion at litton is damn good, usually cavers in there Friday + Saturday nights, also Sunday tea time, a few of us will be there tonight, it depends whos around

bubba

Administrator
The White Hart in Bradwell is always very friendly and decent enough beer. I find the Wanted Inn a bit of an atmosphere vacuum. Agree with the Red Lion litton - fine pint of Barnsley Bitter :D

SamT

mudmonkey said:
Depends where you are - Wanted Inn is great for Rushup Edge (only 5 mins from P7!), where's best for Bradwell Moor?

Hmm - digging in P7 and in Crem pot then, sounds a bit SUSS to me - white hart is best for bradda moor I reckon. :)

paul

seamoose said:
Miners Standard, Winster is a good 'un after places like Jug Holes etc.

It's a good 'un after anywhere... it's just a walk up the hill from me.

cap n chris

Visited The Peak Inn after a trip to the D's Arse a couple of years back - it made the Hunters' Lodge look futuristic and there was nothing to read while waiting for my pint to settle.

I read some of the Castleton & District phone book to while away the time a bit.

Although the format is Surname, Initial (in capitals), did you know that "Spencer, R" is written incorrectly as "Spencer, r" - you just can't get staff who can type anymore!

The others who were with me at the time just gave me a funny look when I remarked upon this.

SamT

Actually the Peak is crap.

funny that innit - how an awesome cave is called The Devils Arse and a Crap pub is called the Peak.

they should swap back - Peak Cavern and Devils Arse Pub.

The pubs tend to shift round, it used to be the peak that was best when I was a nipper - probably cause they let us in. Then the george was always a very nice pub untill it changed hands and has since gone right down hill.

The nags is considered best by the locals now i.e. the tommy tucker brigade (dont ask) but apparently that is up for sale soon and it could be all change again.

The wanted can lack a bit of atmosphere since its usually quiet - but I have noticed it getting busier and busier. Hence my championing it on here. The landlord is sound and very understanding of cavers needs and habits i.e. needing a pint after digging/caving and turning up at 10.59 covered in mud.

seamoose

SamT said:
it used to be the peak that was best...

Yep, we had many a late lock in there over the years, it was the best pub in Castleton.

The problem with most Castleton pubs is that over the years they've become more like restaurants than proper pubs!!! :x

SamT said:
they should swap back - Peak Cavern and Devils Arse Pub.

I think Devils Arse pub has a certain ring to it...

underground

seamoose said:
The problem with most Castleton pubs is that over the years they've become more like restaurants than proper pubs!!! :x

Damn straight, have you been in The Castle lately? What a crock of overinflated money grabbing shite. Me and Taylor went in there after a quickie in Giant's not so long ago, the landlord demanded to know if we wanted to eat or just drink, and when we said 'Pint' he shoved us in the corner in front of the bar.

Apparently they have a table booking system now you see, for the diners :?

I smelt all over of rodent's pi55 at the time. And probably it's sh*t aswell.

Luckily the poison I put down has laced 2 of the little c*nts

Iain Barker

O Aye, forgot the Bull at Monyash, good beer and Sharon is enough to give you a lump in yer shreddies. Marvellous! :D [/quote]

cap n chris

Perhaps if it ever became really popular with poncey types, the Peak could rename itself the Arse Devil's Pub and perhaps even stock some Mendip ale... Butcum, perhaps?

"Just felch a half in there, please barman!"... :sex:

Mrs Trellis

:)

About 20 years ago a few clubs used to camp in the field opposite the 3 Stags Heads for the Bank Hol weekend. It became quite a tented village with bbq, music etc. There was even a "Three Phreaks" race - a round trip in Giants, climb in Ravensdale and walk back to the 3 Stags

Maybe this is worth resurrecting - maybe at a different venue ? Pindale? - or Cas?