Cave Registry LRUD Data for Dales caves and Survex questions

TheBitterEnd

I am looking at the feasibility of doing some data analysis involving cave survey data so I checked-out the data from http://cave-registry.org.uk/svn/Yorkshire/ and noticed that whilst there is plenty of centre line data there is very little LRUD data.

Does anyone know if this is this because LRUD hasn't been digitised or because it just hasn't been uploaded? (by digitised I mean converted to numbers, I'm guessing it is there in the raw_scans images of the survey books).

Also when I go into some folders and open the data in Survex I get errors because it fails to "equate" some references. It seems that I need to open the right file in the first place. In some folders it is obvious as there is, for example, CY.SVX and CY1.SVX, CY2.SVX, etc. But in other folders it is not so obvious. Is there any way of easily finding out which file to open first in Survex?

mulucaver

The wrapper or master file usually just has references to all the other files -"*include" and the "*equates" so, if you do a search for files containing *include, then you should be able to identify the correct file.

TheBitterEnd

Thanks, I had more or less figured that out, I need to check the actual data tonight but the problem seemed to be that in some folders there are several files containing "equate" statements and errors occurred unless the correct one was loaded first.

andrew

Part of using the repository is that there is a description of how the data fits together, unfortunately, that has not really been done as yet.

The main co-ordinators of this dataset are away at present, I have used the Yorkshire data set a bit, but not much, so these are mainly informed guesses.
This data set comes from lots of different teams so not always consistent, but most people the file that is the same name as the folder that it is in will compile all the data in that folder, unless it says somewhere that it is a special case, that is certainly what I do.

Generally if the LRUD data is not there it probably was not taken as you said you can always check the rawscans, not that the names always match up that well, I just tried with a few things in Ireby.

Not sure what you are looking at, and dimensions I cannot help you with (splays are far superior to LRUD, just needs the software to catch up in the modelling department)
However, as it happens I just updated the CheddarCatchment database last night, this can be interrogated online, for things like passage slope and direction. (Still needs development, but don't everything!)

http://wotcc.org.uk/Cheddar/

so if you want a passage direction rose

http://wotcc.org.uk/Cheddar/Searches/SurveyDirection/result.php?Which=BEARING&LType=Horz&Type=combi&SegmentSize=radius&Segments=18&GridSize=800&From=&To=

We have sort of looked at doing research using this data in the past, one thing to remember about the repository is it will contain superseded data, which is usually duplicated. Best to only use the filed that have been included, by following the tree from the top.

TheBitterEnd

Thanks guys. I've just been back into Survex and I can't recreate the problem I was having. If I come across it again I'll make some notes  :chair:

Andy Farrant

I'd be very interested to look at any cave survey data that people may have (either survex or any digital survey data, or even simple excel files), especially stuff that's not on the repository, as I'm interested in doing a statistical analysis of cave passage orientations.
So, if you have any lying around, put it on the repository or PM me.
  Andy

graham

Andy Farrant said:
I'd be very interested to look at any cave survey data that people may have (either survex or any digital survey data, or even simple excel files), especially stuff that's not on the repository, as I'm interested in doing a statistical analysis of cave passage orientations.
So, if you have any lying around, put it on the repository or PM me.
  Andy

This is one of the reasons that we share our data in this way - so that other people can do 'stuff' with it that would maybe never have occurred to us, for the wider benefit.