Vernon Unsworth denied justice

David Rose

I think this tweet says it all. Commiserations, Vernon. This was not justice, but the caving world stands behind you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 09.48.45.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 09.48.45.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 333

mikem

Jury foreman Joshua Jones said Mr Unsworth's legal team were unable to prove their case and should have focused more on the evidence.

"I think they tried to get our emotions involved in it," he was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

ALEXW

I half followed this case from the beginning and rather hoped that Vernon Unsworth would win. I cave occasionally and Vernon Unsworth is undoubtedly a hero so I aligned my self with him. I spent too many hours following the case as it went through the court, The Verve link was useful and I read reports from around the world. Neither side has come out of this well, I am now a neutral observer and await with interest further developments.

David Rose

Maybe some readers here don't know how important Vernon's role in the rescue was. It is safe to say that without him, the boys would be dead. He is entirely responsible for alerting the Thai government to the need to get the British divers who found the boys and led the rescue involved, he had studied thecave, helped to survey it, and knew its flood patterns during the monsoon, and hence the enormous risk. He also conducted a series of heroic solo trips into the the system in the early stages of the flood starting early on the day after the boys went missing. No one could have deserved their MBE more. 

mikem

He hasn't been denied justice, he's proved his point as they couldn't find any dirt on him. He has been denied an apology (& a hefty payout).

Ed

Guess we can all post about Musk's succession of considerable younger girl friends /wives .....and the implications of that

ZombieCake

As it is just an expression of phrase and not defamatory according to the court, does the verdict now mean that one can refer to Tesla's as Mr Musk's 'P*** cars' as just banter?
In terms of technical innovation offered at the time Musk didn't seem to exactly come across as Tony Stark in this case.

JoshW

As I understand it Vern was suing for defamation of character, and yet still received an MBEand various awards, so it?s a fair argument to say his reputation hasn?t been affected. Yes it?s a shitty thing to do, and yes musk is a grade a wankstain, but that?s not what the case was.

Whilst I?d have liked to see musk put in his place, it?s difficult to argue with that defence.

alanwsg

'The register' also has an article about it,
the comment section is worth a read .....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/12/07/elon_musk_defamation/