Author Topic: Scam of the day  (Read 3807 times)

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
Re: Scam of the day
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 08:33:28 am »
One could create a fake ID with a throw away email address. An address can be a derelict building, enough of these in Wales, a postcode can be generated by websites that do this.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 06:01:03 pm »
"Prevention Foundation" also had a try at the British Caving Library and, having checked that it did exist, I vaguely agreed thay we would provide some leaflets to the local school but I deliberately used my own name and postal address in all the information I gave them.  No amount of money was ever mentioned but I thought that, if it did turn out to be worth while I'd willingly shell out £20 or so myself for the little primary school just up the road from the Library.

Similar story to Sam T.  Long story short, an invoice for £199 arrived - no way am I paying that for about 20 four-page leaflets.  So I ignored it; they threatened a bit but then gave up after about 4 weeks.

If it's a scam, it's not a very productive one.

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 08:56:12 pm »
Its a 'grey'scam like Rapid Secure who board windows up for the police who have a duty of care to leave buildings secure after break ins. I was broken into about 15 years ago and few bits of little value taken. I got home and found a window boarded up and the lights on. Next door gave me the story. I removed the boarding and got a new pane cut for £12 which i fitted myself. A week later an invoice for £230 for nailing up a sheet of boarding ply. Refused to pay regardless of letters and calls etc. Heard nothing more.
One cannot be forced to pay for a service not requested and if they pursue the matter through the courts not only will the case be thrown out but they risk being declared vexatious litigants for misuse of the civil justice system.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 09:24:10 pm »
I can't see much more happening in the foundation other than boxing - sometimes with the police. Ironic really, given their apparent sales techniques.

https://www.facebook.com/Prevention-Foundation-106203634489377/

Offline Judi Durber

• forum star
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2021, 11:27:32 am »
I love what this guy does   :clap2:     :lol:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life waiting for us.

Offline Down and beyond

• menacing presence
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 12:12:38 pm »
Saw a brilliant one last week .

One of my beagles is getting very old looking at replacing him , we have two in a heated Kennel outside use them as guard dogs because their howling is very loud , in the village we live get a lot of robberies sadly , anyway !

I told me wife to find another puppy she starts looking for re home option because many people have bought dogs during covid and now don’t want them ! We find a site re home beagles for free , I think brilliant !! Start messaging the person they ask many questions about the conditions we will give the dogs and do we walk them etc etc gave all the correct answers , then they start trying to get a exact address ! I told her to only reply Northamptonshire .

They said great that’s £240 and we shall post one two you !! Click here to pay , I didn’t I replied excuse me what are you on about was that message meant for me I want to collect it to view , they said sorry your quote is £60 ! I said I cannot afford that sorry ! They said send over £20 and we shall post it ! I said where are you they said California! I said right I’ll collect it ! They never replied ! Best thing was they didn’t even ask if I wanted a dog or bitch !

Offline Judi Durber

• forum star
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2021, 10:34:22 am »
A really good video explaining a scam from Jim Browning

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life waiting for us.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 10:52:39 am »
Hi, Down and beyond, I just love the idea of posting a dog! I wonder if it would bite the postman?

Offline Down and beyond

• menacing presence
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 12:00:08 pm »
Haha I  :shrug: is a good question though would cost a lot to post a newfoundland wouldn’t it !!!

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 01:25:31 pm »
I'd like to see them get it in the envelope....
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 02:36:59 pm »
Depends whether it was fully assembled

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal