iPhone tough case recommendations

Mark

Looking for recommendations for a tough case for an iPhone 12 (so many cracked screens in the past)

Pitlamp

Knocked this up a year ago in the first lockdown for my iPhone 7, from scraps of 6 mm neoprene and a bit of old Velcro. (Seams & Velcro edges secured with Aquasure.) Not managed to crack the screen (yet) which isn't bad going, for me.

Attachments

• P5090509.JPG
    P5090509.JPG
    808.8 KB · Views: 117

Pete K

I've tried and ruined several Lifeproof cases. Never tried the Otterbox ones.
I can recommend https://www.punkcases.co.uk/ though. Had one on my last phone for 2 years and it is still waterproof and in good condition. The old phone just came out to head to recycling/sell and it looks brand new still. I'll be ordering a new case for my new XS from Punk shortly.

Dave254

I got a cheap (?20) front and back cover from Amazon "Lanhiem Case Compatible with iPhone 12, IP68 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof Cases with Built-in Screen Protector, Full Body Sealed Protective Front and Back Cover for iPhone 12-6.1 inch (Black)" Whilst I wouldn't trust the alleged IP68 rating, it has survived a couple of drops onto my flag stone floor which has taken out several phone screens in the past. The case has survived a couple of caving trips (wet trips, digging trips etc) and it lives in one of those inglesport peli type cases when I am not taking snaps.

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
I have tried to find a ?peli? type case for my Iphone 12 pro max.
Other than a ?suitcase? size I have had no joy.

For daily use it is in an otter box case. Nice balance of protection and usability. 

Steve Clark

I've used Otterbox Defender series cases for about a decade. I have had one on an Iphone 4, SE, 6 & now an 8. They get some serious abuse on building sites, in pockets full of screws & plaster dust etc. I don't really test the waterproofness. I like them because the screen protector is bonded to the case rather than the phone and stops grit getting in. The phones look brand new after a couple of years, except for small wear points where some dust/sand has got in. I've never broken a screen with the phone in the case.

Disadvantages : The microphone becomes more directional and you have to me more careful how you hold the phone to be heard clearly. The case is quite thick so it prevents you using a 90deg charging cable in the base. Standard cables work fine. The extra thickness makes wireless charging a bit hit & miss in the Mrs' car.

Joel Corrigan

I've gone through quite a few cases (Ghostek, Otter etc) & the one I chose for my 11 was the Catalyst Waterproof. It's fairly hefty but has survived some grim industrial environments without any drama. Doesn't seem to suffer from echoes, condensation etc..., is 10m waterproof (allegedly), and when the rubber charging-port cover disappeared they replaced the whole thing. Not a cheap option but neither is a replacement phone.

https://catalystcase.eu/collections/catalyst-cases-for-iphone-11/products/waterproof-case-for-iphone-11?variant=31922302484527

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Joel Corrigan said:
I've gone through quite a few cases (Ghostek, Otter etc) & the one I chose for my 11 was the Catalyst Waterproof. It's fairly hefty but has survived some grim industrial environments without any drama. Doesn't seem to suffer from echoes, condensation etc..., is 10m waterproof (allegedly), and when the rubber charging-port cover disappeared they replaced the whole thing. Not a cheap option but neither is a replacement phone.

https://catalystcase.eu/collections/catalyst-cases-for-iphone-11/products/waterproof-case-for-iphone-11?variant=31922302484527

They look nice. Just gone on the shopping list.  (y)
Thanks

Mark

Thanks for the input folks, I've gone with the Punkcase version, seems pretty good for the money