Caving in Boston?

george

The family and I have been invited to Boston, MA over xmas and new year - what chance do I have of getting out for a day's caving?

I'm looking on the web and elsewhere, but i just thought i'd ask on here while i'm at it - thanks

George

amoses

George,

You can probably get some help from some local cavers by posting here:
http://www.forums.caves.org/

MA isn't known for its caving, but I have seen one pic of a really nice marble cave there.  There are also certainly a few nice caves in vt and NY that you may be able to reach on a day trip.  If you find you can extend your trip a few days, I can help arrange some good caving for you in WV.

Aaron

teabag

I contacted Boston Grotto while I was there and a group of three of them took me out to New York State where they were visiting Bentley's - took a couple of hours to get there.  There is very little published info on US caving areas, you can really only get it through their caving clubs (Grottos).  The people I went with were really helpful, PM me if you want details

george

Thanks for the tips - i will try the forums and local grottos (you're right - there's not much on us caving areas?).
After speaking to our friends about the weather I think Langcliffe may be spot on!
It's a family holiday but it seems like a good opportunity to broaden my caving cv (i was just looking at the picture on the front of Alpine Caving Techniques - that'd be a nice day trip!)

Thanks

George