Author Topic: iphone 12 Pro - is going to be a revolution in cave surveying  (Read 3635 times)

Offline nearlywhite

• obsessive maniac
Re: iphone 12 Pro - is going to be a revolution in cave surveying
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 09:04:05 am »
I've seen both set ups.

Interestingly Pete, Topo droid allows you to fix photos to stations and I know that people do use that feature, albeit for post surveying drafting. I still find it somewhat clunky and I'm not sure I could give a good 2D representation of a 3D space using a skewed 2D representation but it's all horses for courses. Always happy to optimise people's set ups if they're interested.

I'm about to tinker with the caveatron... I'll let you know if I ever get regular caving again  :down:

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 06:41:39 pm »
https://www.tetongravity.com/story/gear-tech/digitalisation-of-caves-proceeds-using-lidar-on-new-iphones

DIGITALISATION OF CAVES PROCEEDS: USING LIDAR ON NEW IPHONES
Digitalisation of caves is proceeding! :-) I now have the first model from a bit larger cave, the Torhola cave in Lohja, southern Finland. This cave is Finland's largest karst cave, with around 100 meters of complex tunnels on 3-4 levels.

Offline jariarkko

• Planetcaver stories
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2021, 10:44:31 am »
Thanks Pete for posting my story above!

For background, I've been a DistoX user, but been experimenting with LiDAR since I got the new phone in February.

It has been an interesting experience. Amazing results, but also not smooth sailing either. I'm currently mostly focused on trying to make decent cross sections and simplified maps out of the 3D models. The article above goes through the process that I'm using as well as some of the issues that I'm struggling with. Although I've heard from some others that they've had easier time with even larger caves, but they were pretty simple tubes.

If you want to take a peek of a smaller model on your browser and how it looks like to rotate it on your screen, with all the texture in  place, try this link:

https://luolaseura.planetcaver.net/viewer.html?n=Grottbergetin%20luola,%20Siuntio&m=https://www.arkko.com/siuntion-luolat/Grottberget-3D-GLB.glb

This is from a 11-meter cave in Siuntio, Finland.  The actual 3D model is also embedded in the URL above, if you have local 3D tools such as Blender you may also grab that inspect it closer yourself.

Would love to hear from others who are doing this and what they use/what issues they have/what they do with it!

Offline jariarkko

• Planetcaver stories
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2021, 11:25:32 am »
For the cross sections, I'd like to get something like shown in the attachments (first one from the same cave in Siuntio, another one from a cave in Vihti).

Both of these pictures are taken from the full 3D model, sliced up in Blender and shown in two different ways. You can actually slice the up in exactly the way you want, and you get an interesting perspective on things.

There's some difficulties, however, such as the Blender tools having been primarily made for objects and now we're dealing with spaces... it gets confused sometimes what's inside in intersection and other operators. Or maybe I'm confused. Still learning, and the 3D modelling tools have a pretty steep learning curve :-)

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal