Beginners SRT trips

Caveman Ken

Hi! Not exactly a beginner, start caving in 1976. Did my last serious caving trip in 1984. Trying to get back into it after a 37 year break!
Seems you guys all use SRT now. Hmmm. So I've been on an excellent SRT course  provided by the CNCC (recommended). Bought some SRT kit. Now I want to try it underground.
Does anyone know of a graded list of Dales SRT trips, that  you could work your way through before you go down Black Shiver and Quaking. Me and my mate fancy the idea of teaching ourselves rather than being apprentices for 10 years before we have a go at rigging etc.
Thanks.

Ian Ball

As you said CNCC I suggest the 2016 Eurospeleo website

Henry.M

The CHECC guide for students caving in Yorkshire is good too as it gives an indication of the SRT difficulty of the cave, as well as the physical/routefinding difficulty.

https://checc.org/student-caving-trip-options-in-the-yorkshire-dales/

FionaH

Learning to rig more in mind with these suggestions, but they apply to just getting back into caving too: West Kingsdale plus Heron Pot on East Kingsdale. Start with rigging the single pitch in Valley Entrance (and visit Toyland), rig Simpson to the duck, work up through Heron/Yordas/Jingling/Bull to Aquamole, rig the traverse in Valley Entrance, do more of Simpson and do Swinsto, do Rowten.

JoshW

Yordas provides plenty of variety (across the three higher entrances + the waterfall pitch) for dicking about with, especially with two of you, mini exchange trips in various directions.

Sunset hole gives rigging opportunities in a super safe controlled environment (and the first three "pitches") can be easily free climbed if in doubt.

Glad someone pointed out the CHECC SRT guide, a lot of work went into this by CHECC and it's a great resource for all cavers!

alanw

Henry.M said:
The CHECC guide for students caving in Yorkshire is good too as it gives an indication of the SRT difficulty of the cave, as well as the physical/routefinding difficulty.

I note that the guide mentions several trips through Wretched Rabbit, including one exiting from it.

I've dropped CHECC a note through their web site suggesting that these be removed, it seems (see another thread) that stabilising the entrance may take some time.

JoshW

alanw said:
Henry.M said:

I note that the guide mentions several trips through Wretched Rabbit, including one exiting from it.

I've dropped CHECC a note through their web site suggesting that these be removed, it seems (see another thread) that stabilising the entrance may take some time.

Obviously with all cave trips suggested, you should check the latest access arrangements. Wretched Rabbit for now is a no-go, but it may be stabilised at some point in the future.

caving_fox

FionaH said:
Learning to rig more in mind with these suggestions, but they apply to just getting back into caving too: West Kingsdale plus Heron Pot on East Kingsdale. Start with rigging the single pitch in Valley Entrance (and visit Toyland), rig Simpson to the duck, work up through Heron/Yordas/Jingling/Bull to Aquamole, rig the traverse in Valley Entrance, do more of Simpson and do Swinsto, do Rowten.

Sell Gill (esp Dry route) would be my addition before Jingling and Aquamole. The Wet Goblin route is slightly trickier.

There's always Peak district too, P8 and Giants have simple pitches in normal water levels.