Rowtor Hole - Hypothermia

bubba

Administrator
Taking advantage of low water contitions Jon Taylor and Sam Townsend have begun work on the choke at the end of Hypothermia crawl. Working in a steady trickle of water, progress has been made up into the choke which is best described as 'interesting'. Due to the cold nature (hence the name) of the place then anybody visiting should be full kitted up in neoprene. A bivvy was set up with brew kit and carbide lamps for warmth so an exteded session could be held. An attempt to survey the passage was made on Saturday 29th March but was abandoned after one member of the party - who shall remain nameless - decided the 200ft (ish) entrance crawl wasnt for him on account of the holes in his tatty wetsuit and lack of a balaclava. Work has had to halt for lambing season now but will continue in May.... water levels permitting.

SamT

I gave that report to Shaun at the end of march - He's a bit busy at the mo. me's thinks

AndyF

Talking of Rowter, I once discussed an idea over a pint, but have never got around to following it up:-

There is a chamber off the bottom of Rowter, which has a mud spoil cone down to the far wall, looking like a possible old route for water. It was pointed out that it would be possible to put a bucket under Hyperthermia inlet, catch it's water, and re-direct it to this cone. This might, over time, wash it away "super flopjack" style.

Dunno if this is feasable, but it may not be hard to set it up...

Of course, this is in my gradually dimming memory, and may be complete tosh....

SamT

Nah - you know how it goes. One project gets left - another is started etc.
Must get round get round to having another look sometime.

it would be possible to put a bucket under Hyperthermia inlet, catch it's water

isnt that what all that gert big pipe is down there for - some abandoned project to divert the hypothermia water into the dig at the base of the abyse. thats what I was told anyhow.

Glenn

What's at the top of the Abyss? It always seemed strange to me that the >bottom< of a big shaft was called the Abyss, yet I never figured out how to get to the top of it?

Glenn

SamT

I believe Mark Write free climbed it back in the Eighties or Early Nineties.

I dont think they found much up there bar a few run in shafts that must come from the surface (quel suprise).

Its the dig in the bottom of there that is most interesting. That could do with starting up again.

Must end up in the peak speedwell system somewhere

Rowter Hole is on Faucet Rake, the nearest underground location on the vein in the Peak Speedwell system must be "A Grand Day Out" at the end of the assault course that was found by Moose back in the nineties. There is an inlet halfway up the final aven that got too small but maybe it's the water from Rowter?

Glenn

SamT said:
I believe Mark Write free climbed it back in the Eighties or Early Nineties.

I dont think they found much up there bar a few run in shafts that must come from the surface (quel suprise).

Its the dig in the bottom of there that is most interesting. That could do with starting up again.

Must end up in the peak speedwell system somewhere

Was that since the 1991 edition of Caves of the Peak District? It states that no cavers have explored the top of the Abyss....

We tried to get there (years ago) via the old workings (the Upper Chamber?) but it all got a bit scary, and we started trying to excavate the low crawl at the bottom of those short pitches upstream of the bottom of the entrance shaft. Didn't get anywhere though, by the time we got there it was always time to leave in order to catch a pint on the way home...

Glenn

Pitlamp

I have a vague memory that Mark Noble may have been up there in the late 70's or early 80's. I think Mark posts on here so - if you see this - can you tell us anything about it?

SamT

Well - it was one of the Marks. Like I said, it was free climbed and there was not a lot up there bar signs of a couple of shafts that must have been where the miners originally got into the system.
Common sense tells you that the top of the abyss cant be far from the surface really.

Mark

pitlamp said:
I have a vague memory that Mark Noble may have been up there in the late 70's or early 80's. I think Mark posts on here so - if you see this - can you tell us anything about it?

Never went up the abyss, but got quite a long way up the shafts at the other end of the system until it got really loose, I always fancied a dig at the bottom of the pitch at the top of the slope where the water went but could never convince anyone else

SamT

Has the water from hypothermia passage been dye tested. I know it comes out in speedwell - I just wondered which inlet to speedwell, main rising - whirlpool - assault course etc etc.