what is the best cave?

ditzy 24//7

hello there just wondering what do people think is the best cave they have been in and were abouts is it?

graham

ditzy

There are almost as many different answers to this as there are caves. It really depends what you are looking for at any given moment from any given trip.

Some of the best caves I have ever been in include Planinska Jama, Scojanske Jame (both in Slovenia), Le Tuc d'Audobert, La Pucelle (both in France). All of these were very different trips requiring different skills & having different things to see. I could not, for that reason, say that one was better than another.

Stu

Interesting question. Although the answer "it depends what you're after" is certainly valid, there are some systems which have a bit of everything:

Gaping Gill
Ease Gill

are both obvious inclusions.

mak

As I see from your posts elsewhere you cave on Mendip then I'll limit myself to that

Best cave on Mendip is Longwood/August for its variety and sport

Peter Burgess

If you just go by how cavers vote with their feet, and stick to Somerset, then it is Goatchurch and Swildons, I would say. That would be the 'majority' view. Those who visit these caves do so because they enjoy them, I hope. Probably a combination of factors, like minimium hassle to visit, long enough to have a good trip, not so difficult that the less experienced can't enjoy it, plenty to see and do for all in the party.

racingsnake

My Favourite is The trou qui souffle
Not the longest/ hardest or technically difficult system I have done but as graham said its what youre looking to get from a trip.

Also did it on my birthday on my first foreign caving trip

D

Dave H

I quite liked the Goufre Berger near Grenoble in France.

In the UK I particularly like (in no particular order)
Swildons Short Round [Mendips]
County to Lancaster [Lancs/Yorks]
Most routes in GG especially Dihederal route [Yorks]
Daren Cilau (White company area and sump trips) [S. Wales]
Doolin river cave [Ireland]
and of course, a sadistic liking for taking relative novices on the Giant round trip through the windpipe, or around Carlswalk [Derbys]

Hmm.. I've just realised that there is quite a spread of trip types and areas of the British Isles (and Ireland) in that list. (I must do something nice in FOD and Scotland!)

Ditzy 24/7 - it just goes to show that I've found you should try all sorts of caves in differing areas.

francis

I really enjoyed Juniper gulf and Pennyghent! Only been caving in the dales in the UK sofar.

Francis

AndyF

Ow! Ow! Thinking...

Best cave, or best caving trip....? UK or World...?

Blimey, for once I'm lost for words......errrr 

THE cave that blew me away was Škocjanske Jame in Slovenia, and thats a show cave, but you just cannot beleive it. Get yourslef on a Ryanair flight for £7 for the w/e just to go to it....

Rob

Peak Cavern hands down.

It's got everything anyone could possibly want!  (y)

A

andymorgan

Peter Burgess said:
If you just go by how cavers vote with their feet, and stick to Somerset, then it is Goatchurch and Swildons, I would say. That would be the 'majority' view. Those who visit these caves do so because they enjoy them, I hope. Probably a combination of factors, like minimium hassle to visit, long enough to have a good trip, not so difficult that the less experienced can't enjoy it, plenty to see and do for all in the party.

Minimum hassle, are you referring to not needing a CSCC key, or CCC permit? I'm sure all the people going to these caves don't agree they are the best in Somerset. Most probably are going on their one and only caving trip to these places.

In my opinion St Cuthberts is the best cave in Mendip: it has something for everyone. It is the only cave I have liked retuning to again and again.
  Otter Hole is considered to be one of the finest caves in the country.

Best is a very subjective term though: to some people the best cave is a small squalid cave, others it is big white formations.

W

wildsurf

AndyF said:
THE cave that blew me away was Škocjanske Jame in Slovenia, and thats a show cave, but you just cannot beleive it. Get yourslef on a Ryanair flight for £7 for the w/e just to go to it....

This cave is pretty amazing, not for the prettiness, just the sheer scale of it and the thought of what it must be like on one of the mega floods.

This cave is so good that it was once voted by the Lonely Planet authors as one of the top 10 things to see in the whole of Europe!

My personal favourite caves in Europe are Gouffre Pierre Saint Martin (biggest place I've ever been), Grotte De Gournier (fabulously decorated and great streamway and Planinske Jama.

In the UK my favourite caves would be Easegill, Swildons, Simpsons and Aggy.

Elaine

whitelackington said:
Cow Hole in Mendipshire is a corker!

No it's not Whitelackington! You can't trick them into digging it out for you!

I tend to agree with Hell little caver. My most enjoyable trip ever was in OFD. I don't expect it would be the same if I did it again though.
Reservoir Hole is another one. I was so astounded at what was there that it particularly stuck in my mind as one of my best trips.