Dry Weather Caves

L

LoneRanger

Water levels are getting very low in the Dales at the moment. Can anyone suggest a list of caves that can only be done in these conditions. Specifically, any caves with sumps that drain away after a long dry spell of weather.

E.g.

Mongo Gill, Upstream Passage (May be gated?)
Snatcher Pot (See Northern Sump Index)
Rumbling Hole to Lost Johns (possibly unrepeated?)

Note, I haven't done any of the above.

There must be others. Even a short extension beyond the normal termination of the cave would be a privilege to enter for us non-divers.

G

George North

Personally I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a trip into the Penyghent extensions if the weather stays like this (fingers crossed!)

Out of interest what does it say about Snatcher pot in the Northern Sump Index?

GN.

paul

George North said:
Bugger. It's just started raining. :(

Hapens every time! We get a dry spell, dream up possibilities, somebody posts a message about what to do in the dry spell and IT RAINS!

Let's start a new thread: what to do when it rains all the time. You never know - it may have the opposite effect! :wink:

dunc

Out of interest what does it say about Snatcher pot in the Northern Sump Index?
During prolonged dry conditions the pool partially drains away to reveal a flat-out crawl that does not seem to have been investigated. The pool lies 30m from the upstream end of Snools Hole.

A

andymorgan

I went to Mongo Gill about 7 weeks ago and it was bone dry: there was no stream in the streamway! This made a little tricky to decide which was upstream and which is downstream. There is a short section of passage beyond the sump, but it is pretty impressive.

The cave is gated: write to Stump Cross Cavern for access i think.

langcliffe

andymorgan said:
I went to Mongo Gill about 7 weeks ago and it was bone dry: there was no stream in the streamway! This made a little tricky to decide which was upstream and which is downstream. There is a short section of passage beyond the sump, but it is pretty impressive.

I guess it depends what you mean by "the sump". There are, if I remember correctly, four upstream sumps - all of which can dry up. Assuming that you hit the streamway at Vein Cavern, there is about half a kilometre of passage upstream. The last sump to dry up is the fourth, but there isn't much to see beyond it. The passage up to sump 4, though, is pretty impressive.

A

andymorgan

[quote="langcliffe]
I guess it depends what you mean by "the sump". There are, if I remember correctly, four upstream sumps - all of which can dry up. Assuming that you hit the streamway at Vein Cavern, there is about half a kilometre of passage upstream. The last sump to dry up is the fourth, but there isn't much to see beyond it. The passage up to sump 4, though, is pretty impressive.[/quote]

Yes there are more than one sumps :oops: . It is difficult to know how many there are when they aren't there :LOL: (but I suppose you don't when they are full either :? ) The sump I was thinking of is probably the third sump: it was a flat out crawl through a sandy stream bed which opened up into an impressive sculptured passage terminating in a sump.