Misty mountain series & Cigalere.

T

tubby two

Was in easegill yeasterday and went for a wander up leck fell lane past where the cigalere comes in. We got to the small waterfall and climbed up into what we think must have been the misty mountain series. NC3 made it sound like you could get through from this into the cigalere above the grand cascade essentially making a round trip? Is this possible, i can't find it on the survey in BPF and we ended up gping all the way along and up bastard crawl then to the top of the pitches (is this birthday aven? if so it's way higher than the 5m the book mentions?) then had to come all the way back.

tt.

Beardy

you can do the round trip now - but it was only made possible by the RRCPC
pushing the end of the Misty Mountain Series along the bastard crawl, bolting up birthday avens and pushing the big mean porridge machine,the connection to the top end of Cigalere was made in 1994, a full write up should appear in the next RRCPC journal - hopefully to be out in the next 12 months

be careful if using the insitu tackle it will be in atrocious condition ! You can get to the top of the series using the Bye George entrance and then climbing upstream cigalere to a big chamber - the porridge machine leads off from a ledge in this chamber about 10ft up - far left looking upstream....

enjoy its superb....

Beardy

T

tubby two

SO i was heading the right way! poo. The old NC description made me think the link went off before the end of the rift where bastard crawl starts. I got to the top of the birthday avens and saw more crawling that looked like a bastard and we were close to our time out so we retreated.
You're right though, the rope and hangers were all looking quite worn and rusty!
If it comes out above the grand cascade, is this normally rigged?

thanks.

tt.

L

Langthwaite Pot

The Grand Cascade is rigged with two ropes at the moment. I'm not sure what state they're in, but things didn't look too great from the bottom - hence we didn't go up them!